Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a few weeks its finaly done. hope you enjoy. and can you guys give me an approximate value of this rifle i cant seem to find any info on value of the PE snipers. total investment is Gun $100 Mount & Scope $319(Accumounts) Taps $20 My time mounting Priceless (LOL) But the total is $440 to put the whole thing togother any appraisle would be helpful so i can put it on the home owners insurance. Thanks guys Clay AKA LOOGIE.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,903 Posts
Nice looking rifle and group pic there. I have an ex pe top mount and side mount that I need to get done one of these days. Have scopes and mounts just need funds for the work.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,576 Posts
PE

Well, heres how I would figure value. 1936 ex sniper $250. Scope and mount $320. Sniper bolt $55. Tools $20. Labor to install scope mt $150 Comes to $800. Pretty much bottom end for a restored PE ex sniper. Nice job, Loogie, by the way!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thaught a good going rate was $1200-1500 or so. I was hoping this was a good investment. it's the best looking sniper i have ever restored so far, metal and wood finish. more input is appreciated thanks. LOOGIE

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice looking rig. I was just looking at the same scope and mount and considering mounting it on a Finn capture 91/30. I am still on the fence if I want to do my Finn or just pick up a Russian 91/30. The Finn shoots fantastic and that is why I am leaning that way.

How does your scope look? Is it the one the reticule stays centered and does not move ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cal50: This is a real PE sniper not a Repro it's the real deal with a repro scope mount. I have a passion for restoring, when i get through restoring a rifle i feel like i have given a new life to a fallen hero, and i cant under stand why the 91/30 sniper is so under rated as a sniper in the C&R comunity i tryed to have it appraised yesterday ant a respected gun shop here in tide water (VA Beach VA.) Told me it was worth all parts Paid for and that was it, while he had a repro 1903a1 sniper REPO on the wall for $1900 and my real deal 91/30 with repro scope and mount was worth $440 what the F#%*@

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's the same way around here. Restored ex-Mosin snipers don't sell for any more than the repros. And the truth is they aren't selling at all unless you give them away at a ridicules price. Your lucky to get back the price of the parts, let alone the cost of the labor. Last gunshow a guy had a nice restored 1937 Tula ex-PE sniper with repo scope set-up for $550. He said no one was even remotely interested in it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Nice looking rig. I was just looking at the same scope and mount and considering mounting it on a Finn capture 91/30. I am still on the fence if I want to do my Finn or just pick up a Russian 91/30. The Finn shoots fantastic and that is why I am leaning that way.

How does your scope look? Is it the one the reticule stays centered and does not move ?
:eek: Why ruin the history of a Finn capture 91/30 by making it into something it NEVER was.:confused::(

Get yourself an exsniper from the recent refurbs, There are quite a few PE/PEM/PUs if you look for them. I find exPUs often for $125 or less. Good luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
acrirenma:beautiful rifel any more pic's would be great to see also what kinda price do they bring for this type of build??
Thanks Loogie! Like you said above, I guess it's worth the sum of its parts. LOL I paid $79 for the M39 at Roses (back in the day when they still sold milsurps...got a lot of nice guns from them...even got my first AK Maadi ARM at Roses...those were the days!)
I collect my milsurps to shoot but I certainly respect historically correct renditions. You're way up on me in that department. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aacirema: dont fool youre self i am just a 32 year old punk that has a passion for russian snipers i hope to learn some knolage from a few old timers to pass on to my son and other youth about these wonderful rifles. Clay AKA LOOGIE

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cal50: This is a real PE sniper not a Repro it's the real deal with a repro scope mount. I have a passion for restoring, when i get through restoring a rifle i feel like i have given a new life to a fallen hero, and i cant under stand why the 91/30 sniper is so under rated as a sniper in the C&R comunity i tryed to have it appraised yesterday ant a respected gun shop here in tide water (VA Beach VA.) Told me it was worth all parts Paid for and that was it, while he had a repro 1903a1 sniper REPO on the wall for $1900 and my real deal 91/30 with repro scope and mount was worth $440 what the F#%*@

I have a PU repo that came from Classic arms. It was not an ex-sniper but I do not think that adds or detracts from the cost of the end package. What I ended up with was a 1920's all matching 91/30 (dragoon?) with a mint bore. It had a steel PU scope and mount attached which was crooked. I removed it and installed it correctly along with TIG welding the pads on the PU scope mount to obtain a windage zero. The gun will shoot an honest 3/4" @ 100 yards. When I considered buying an ex sniper and adding a scope I did not think it would make any difference in "value" but I wanted an accurate rifle. I will leave my Finn capture alone and look for a nice 91/30 to mount a PE/PEM scope. I had a K98 side rail sniper that was nice and built on a BCD4 K98. Nice bit only true capture pieces that have not been altered bring the big money.

Ok,who has a nice 91/30 for a PE/PEM project!

·
Gold Bullet member
14,391 Posts
Looks nice to me Clay. Nice group picture too. IMHO, an ex-PE rescoped with repro mount, scope and base is worth $100-200 more than the going price of a replica PE. I also like the Russian snipers and agree that they are unvalued and under-rated but the market is the market.

The best thing to do is enjoy the hobby and do as you like with the stuff you like. Worrying about any kind of investment these days is way too much stress and takes too much fun out of it. It does sound like you are having fun Clay. That has quite a bit of value.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,576 Posts
1936 pe

Just for sheets and giggles, a '36 PE ex sniper sold a few weeks ago on Gunbroker for $300. I have sold several PEs in the $2-300 range. Bore condition, matching#s, and correct early stock are all considerations.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,576 Posts
Snipers are soft, right now

Now is the time to buy, if you can. Loogie, the guy at your shop, is trying to make a buck..... buy low, sell high, just good(for him) buisness. Theres a nice Swede M41b sniper on the trader now for $1450, I don't think you will see that kind of price a few years into the future, expecially when Samco runs out of them. Everybody now is all into hicap autoloaders, anticipating the BO gun grab.:eek:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
the reason that ex-snipers and repros sell the same is because before you re-drill a ex-sniper there is proof of it ex-sniper origins with the filled in welds etc. After you drill them out for your mount to bring them back to there former glory at this point how can it be shown if its a ex-sniper or repro. the CN and CH stamps making with fakes are to rampant to trust any one, so there is just 1 price across the board. your rifle would be 1200-1500 if you used a real PEM scope not a repro and is why its 800.00 IMO. like to hear others opinions. ALL in ALL a fantastic looking rifle!!!!!!!! great job

later
vaughn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.