Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked a 1943 Izzy M91/30 the other day. Nice looking rifle, the bolt has no wear neither does the internals of the receiver or mag. In contrast my brother got a 1937 Izzy the same day and there is a difference, mine looks almost new compared to his, which looks refurbished......

Anyways, My questions are as follows, anyone and everyones input will help.

1.) What are the major taboo's?
-I am not putting an ATI stock on it!!!!!!
-What about refinishing of the stock, mine looks like its been beat to death in a crate for 60 years,and finished by a 6 year old to begin with...

2.) Whats the best way to clean the bore? It looks like its had grease/waxy something coating in it. I used hoppes and pads/brass brush for like 2hours and even though it my pads came out black it looks like i wasted my time.

3.) Whats the best way of scoping this rifle.
-The PU mount?
- Have the bolt handle bent/replaced? (might be taboo, i have no clue.)
-Scout scope? I dont overly like these but if anyone knows of any good ones.

4.) WHAT IS GOOD AMMO?
-Seems like all ammo is corrosive? :confused:
-Anything about ammo could help..

I want the gun to remain pretty true to its roots. That being said I do want to shoot and use this gun. I am not a collector, just a fan. This is the only bolt action I own and the only gun bigger then a 223/5.56 I own. Next year I may even use it to hunt. What better then using a 43 it kill something.
Anyways thanks in advance. Sorry if i offended you. Help me I'm new, I beg for forgiveness.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,315 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

This is just my opinion:

1) You want to clean off the dirt, grime, rust, etc, but do NOT remove the finish. Your Mosin Nagant has a lot of history in it. Refinishing, sanding, etc can destroy that history.

2) Do a search of this forum, using "cleaning" as a key word. This subject has been covered multiple times. The preservative that the communists used can be a real bear of clean at times, so be patient and have lots of rags available.

3) Darrell's Scout Scope Mount is the best around. Keep in mind that adding a scope will NOT improve your shooting, It will just give you a slightly clearer sight of your shots. See #1 above regarding history.

4) Ammunition will depend on your rifle. Some rifles like one type better than others. Each rifle will have different preferences. But a few boxes of each type, and see which works best for you.

PS. I prefer iron sights to scope, even with my lousy eyesight.

·
Registered
338 Posts
gun_nut pretty much covered all the bases.

For good new-production ammunition, Wolf, Silver Bear, and Prvi Partizan all make fine and affordable ammunition. Winchester and Sellier & Bellot also make fine Mosin ammo, with a slightly higher price tag. Ammunition To Go and AIM Surplus are great online sources for Mosin ammuniton, and I have used both dealers with great results.

To clean, just use Hoppe's #9; it's formulated to remove corrosive salts as well as perform normal cleaning, all in one. I shoot lots of corrosive ammunition and Hoppe's has never failed to remove corrosive salts from my bores. Some folks like to spray water or a mix of water and ammonia down the bore and patch it dry first, but if you want to keep it simple and save steps, just have plenty of Hoppe's on hand. Brush the bore with Hoppe's, snake or patch with Hoppe's, dry and then oil - that's all you need to do :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome Adam the Mosin Fan!

Many of the Mosin Addicts here are collectors, collectors that love shooting Mosin, photographing Mosin, and talking Mosin. The first thing “Young Pups” learn is “What is an Izzy?” followed by "Post More Pictures for us!" :D

But to answer your questions here are my opinions:

What about refinishing of the stock, mine looks like its been beat to death in a crate for 60 years, and finished by a 6 year old to begin with...
It is your rifle; you may do with it as you wish. I like to keep mine close to some kind of original military condition. Over the life of a military rifle, there are some changes that naturally move it from the “original” condition. Be assured that the stock of your “Izzy” always looked like it was finished by a 6 year old; it has just gathered more character as it aged. The original Russian finish is shellac. I clean my stocks with a mild household detergent when I first get the gun. After that, I only use a damp cloth if required. I have heard that you can “smooth out” flaking shellac with alcohol.

Whats the best way to clean the bore? It looks like its had grease/waxy something coating in it. I used hoppes and pads/brass brush for like 2hours and even though it my pads came out black it looks like i wasted my time.
You are cleaning out decades of abuse, corrosive residues, preservatives, and dust; it will take some time. Don’t give up. My first Mosin had a neat muzzle plug of solid dust. I use brass brushes, Hoppe’s #9, WD40 to blast out debris and moisture, cotton patches, and gun oil to preserve metal. One thing you can do is clean it the best you can, and after ensuring that there is no obstruction or damage, shoot it a bunch to heat the bore. Then clean it warm with your preferred system. The shock, pressure, and heat may help; and if not, you at least had a good time shooting your Mosin.

Whats the best way of scoping this rifle.
It is your rifle. I wouldn’t permanently alter mine with drilled mounting systems, or bending original bolt handles. I haven’t tried a scout scope yet. I have heard that a scout scope is useful for hunting.

WHAT IS GOOD AMMO?
Ammo can be an all day topic. All surplus ammo is corrosive, but do fear it; just be diligent about cleaning. Best ammo is the 7.62x54R rounds that through your trials and experimentation is found to be safe, available, reliable, accurate, and affordable for you and your Mosin. There may be other non-rifle limitations to consider: local laws, range rules, etc. So try different ammo. Be scientific in your approach; make observations, and keep notes. I use commercial hunting ammo, Privi Partizan SP BT 150 gr, because it works for me and passes my local range rules against FMJ and steel cores.

Have fun with your Mosin. It is beautiful, sturdy, functional, and speaks history to those that will listen.

May God bless you with straight shooting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Adamthe3rd,

Welcome to the boards.

Most of the chaps around here know far more about these rifles than I do, so what I am about to say is just a mindset, not an expert opinion.

The rifles we have are a piece of history. They are a lens to help us view, appreciate, and understand the past. The rifle you have was at one time probably carried by a soviet soldier whom we will never know by name. He may have been from a big city or small village. He was carrying that rifle in defense of his country, caught between the onslaught of the German army and the horror of Stalin. What you have is what he had. He was depending on that weapon to kill the enemy before he was killed. Whether we like or hate the Soviet Union we can feel a kinship with that soldier from so long ago that used that rifle for the purpose it was designed to perform.

All antiques maintain their value NOT by improvements upon them, but rather by the care in keeping them as original as possible. If you ever get the chance to watch the Antique Road Show you will NEVER, EVER hear one of the experts tell someone how much their (lamp, chair, table, watch, jewelry, etc etc etc) was increased in value by someone changing it. Antiques always hold their value by keeping them as close to their original configuration as possible.

So try not to think of a Mosin as just another rifle, but rather a piece of history to be appreciated and maintained for future generations.

Ok, now off my soapbox.

If it is ammo you want I am an expert on prices. I just worked out a comparative spreadsheet where I look at prices from over 25 online stores. Send me your Email by Private Message and I'll send you a copy of spreadsheet. I just redid it this past weekend so the prices should be good for a few more days.

Enjoy your shooting and trust the guys here. Some of these chaps have WAY too much time on their hands and are able to answer the most obscure questions you can imagine (I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

Doug

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
You can use denatured alcohol to soften the shellac already on your rifle, then simply spray on s'more and smooth it all out with a rag.

Ivan The Arsenal Technician was just slopping it on with a paintbrush, and as long as you just even up his work and patch the holes with some gentle smoothing-out instead of attacking it with sandpaper, you won't offend anyone. They do flake, and if nothing else you can claim conservation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.