Gunboards Forums banner

New or excellent condition replacement barrels?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  coyotejoe 
#1 · (Edited)
One if my Nagants is in mint condition except for the barrel, which has corrosion in it. Go figure...the whole gun looks like it just came off the assembly line, but the barrel looks like it was used in both World Wars without being cleaned. Soooo....I was wondering if anyone had a source for replacement barrels? From what I have read, the barrel come off rather easily (unscrew counterclockwise) so I figured I would just replace it myself. I searched on Gunbroker, but nothing there. Anyone know where I can find a new or excellent condition barrel?
:confused:
Dep

#4 ·
Price of Nagants being what they are, I recommend just getting a new one. Cost of a new barrel and the gunsmithing to install it will be close to another refurb. I'd also first see how it shoots. Many ugly bores seem not to really affect accuracy any more than clean looking ones.

#5 ·
Price of Nagants being what they are, I recommend just getting a new one. Cost of a new barrel and the gunsmithing to install it will be close to another refurb. I'd also first see how it shoots. Many ugly bores seem not to really affect accuracy any more than clean looking ones.
Actually, that was kind my plan as far as shooting it to see how it is. I know stuff like JB Bore Paste is supposed to help restore bad barrels if they aren't too screwed up. This gun is REAL nice and I would like to get a barrel if possible. I'll just have to keep an eye on Gunbroker and other gun sources.

#6 ·
JB and other bore pastes are just "cleaners" which will remove lead & copper fouling and such but won't do anything for pits. I'd give it a try as is, it may shoot jacketed bullets just fine. The worst thing about pits is that they tend to grow worse with time since it is really hard to clean down into the bottom of the pit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.