Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1942 New Zealand marked, No. 4 Mk1*, No import marks, serialed upper wood, rare LONG butt, CCM wood, both uppers, forestock and butt, 1942 marked sling, with EFD brass oiler.
Has the nice dark Canadian walnut, grooved upper HG, matching bolt. The dudes in NZ clamped the bloody bolt in a vice, and stamped their own serial number on the upper surface. They stamped the same S# on the left receiver wall and magazine body. The magazine is new condition, very little wear, and is unnumbered from the factory.

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No

Very nice, typical NZ style of marking (serial number etc). Does it have the good old NZ on the butt?
No stamps on the butt other than the manufacturer marks. Some deep gouges :( , but no stamps.
I have a DP'd Long Branch from NZ as well, I'll check for stamps on it, but I don't recall any there, either.

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those

Here is a couple of early ones I have, again typical NZ stuff.
Those are some nice, early Long Branches. Both look to be early 1942, IIRC??
Are both MK1*'s as well? If either are Mk 1 (no star), I'd like to speak to you offline.
Check the Long Branch serial # stickey that I've been keeping. There is some interesting stuff there. Consider adding yours to the list, if you would.
I've not seen a 1942 Mk 1 (no star) yet, but I'm sure/guess/think that there <has> to be one!
ATB,
limpetmine

·
Registered
92 Posts
Those are some nice, early Long Branches. Both look to be early 1942, IIRC??
Are both MK1*'s as well? If either are Mk 1 (no star), I'd like to speak to you offline.
Check the Long Branch serial # stickey that I've been keeping. There is some interesting stuff there. Consider adding yours to the list, if you would.
I've not seen a 1942 Mk 1 (no star) yet, but I'm sure/guess/think that there <has> to be one!
ATB,
limpetmine
Both are Mk1*. I doubt they made any 42 Mk1's. I have heard of, but not sighted 1941 Mk1's from Longbranch.

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
here's a few '41's

I've never seen a '42 Mk1, but am assuming due to the manufacturing start up problems LB had, that some "left over" 41 production got sent out in '42. That's my take, anyway.
Here are a couple of 1941 No 4 Mk1's from Long Branch.
BTW, it's a 1942 Savage that was DP'd with N/Z marks. It is a Mk 1*

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
low wood

A few more photos.
I think yours are origional wood, due to the low cut wood on them. That was for the cut off that was approved for the early No.4's but never really considered. (but you know that !:) ) The later of mine is, I have on the best of professional opinions, origional, the older of the two, not so sure about. (didn't get a review on that one, didn't have it at the time).

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet.

Longbranch rifles are far more common in NZ than Savage, but in saying that I do have a 1941 Mk1 Savage.
How sweet it that? I've got a '42 Savage Mk 1, but have never even SEEN a 1941 Mk 1.
Let me know if you want to sell it!!! I'd like to see some pictures of that when you get a chance.
...limpetmine

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somebody

On one of these boards, (may have been Milsurps dot com) not sure, posted a letter from a fellow who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, about how it was that so many LB's made it to NZ, and stayed in crates for the entire time. Then, after the war, were going to scrap them or some such, and ended up selling some off, dumping some, etc. etc.
I should have kept that link handy. Maybe someone (Badger?) will post a link to it.
atb,
Limpetmine

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think yours are origional wood, due to the low cut wood on them. That was for the cut off that was approved for the early No.4's but never really considered. (but you know that !:) ) The later of mine is, I have on the best of professional opinions, origional, the older of the two, not so sure about. (didn't get a review on that one, didn't have it at the time).
Hi Limpetmine, yes the woods are original. Both rifles are fully matching numbers except the magazines (which I can live with). I will try to get some photos of the Savage tonight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On one of these boards, (may have been Milsurps dot com) not sure, posted a letter from a fellow who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, about how it was that so many LB's made it to NZ, and stayed in crates for the entire time. Then, after the war, were going to scrap them or some such, and ended up selling some off, dumping some, etc. etc.
I should have kept that link handy. Maybe someone (Badger?) will post a link to it.
atb,
Limpetmine
New Zealand has a lot of very fine to mint condition 42 Longbranch rifles, They were held in stores then sold at Government auctions in the 70's and 80's or sold to service men on there leaving the forces (from memory they were $10.00 each) I have a 42 Mk1* Longbranch that has only been fired once (by me).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got my NZ 42 LB off an ex army gent who bought it direct from the army in 1980 when he left,for yes,10 bucks.
It was still fully greased up and unfired from then when I got it.
Interestingly, while all matching in other respects, the mag had a different number and had done when he got it,so the army were obviously not as fussy as us!!
I have seen couple of Long butt NZ longbranches, and my current one is an "s"
so perhaps this was not so uncommon with the New Zealand rifles.

GDU

·
27,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice none the less

Sorry Limpetmine I got it wrong, its a 42 not a 41. Its pretty hard at times to remember them all.
First ten thousand production, not to shabby. Mine is a 5CXXXX range. What other neat rifles you 'got stashed away down under? What I've seen is impressive. Thanks for posting! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting to see the drilled bolt knob on a MkI* rifle, but logical that existing stocks would be used up until the change over to the flattened knob without hole.

The change over from MkI to MkI* was probably coincidental to the year change. The markings on the left receiver wall were hand electric penciled until some time in the 1942, 2L range, at least a receiver I have is marked that way, and all the MkI's I have seen were hand marked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.