Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently seized the opportunity to procure this less commonly marked New England Westinghouse M91 for what I considered an average price. It will go well with my Finn marked and unissued U.S. models.

This one falls into the category of being at or near what are referred to as the high serial numbered NEW's, at 1.26 million. And thus, it has received the US Eagle and Flaming Bomb stamps on the barrel shank. (flaming bomb is VERY lightly stamped and difficult to see - directly over "1" in the serial number on left side)

From here, the history begins to cloud. The receiver, barrel, mag and trigger parts are all NEW, and it is obvious that the Imperial Eagle has been scrubbed from the shank. The stock is a Remington with semi-visible cartouche, and scrubbed numbered buttplate. The wood is sanded and many small dings are filled with a greenish-gray putty. The bolt is made up of Tula, Chatellerault and Izhevsk parts. It is scrubbed and last four numbers are force-matched. Barrel bands are Izhevsk, sight leaf is Tula, and the cleaning rod is absent.

On reviewing a handful of references of these US marked NEW's that have been imported, there are some with obvious Finnish [SA] marks or other indicators, and others with less definite travel itineraries. This one shows no specific evidence of Finn refurbishment, with no [SA] stamps or re-numbered rear sight base. It is also stamped with the INTER ORDNANCE MONROE NC import mark, and not the CAI ST ALB VT mark that is commonly found on Finn imports

What is known:

1. Late production, and US stamped
2. Exported from the US
3. Rearsenaled with a Remington stock and force matched bolt
4. Imperial Eagle was scrubbed
5. Imported back into the US

Unknown:

1. At what destination point, and for what purpose it was exported
2. Where it was rearsenaled
3. Where it traveled after rearsenal
4. Point of export back to the US.

Some of these late NEW's have more definite distinctions such as SCW or Finn marks. Other US issued guns can be tied to the Siberian Intervention, i.e. Japanese Trainers. Probabilities exist for participation in the Archangel Expedition, Bolshevik capture, Soviet rearsenaling, and transfer to the Balkans - my best observation at this time.

I'm also quite sure that other scenarios are possible. Thanks for looking, gents.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
WOW!!!...now THAT'S a serious history lesson in the making!!...hopefully some of the enigmas of your beautiful NEW will be clarified...but, WOW!!...she's a REAL nice one!!!...

Good job!!...thanks for sharing all the great pics and interesting tidbits of info about your new NEW!!... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'd be inclinded to say it's a Balkan rifle, if only because of the scrubbing. Certainly isn't Finnish or Spanish. And the only other huge source of M91's I can think of off the top of my head, especially those that would be import marked and scrubbed, are out of the Balkans. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, haha!

I wonder if it's possible to see where other Interordnance marked rifles came out of.

That's a real interesting rifle martin08. Was that a local by or online? Because if local I just don't understand how you could find such nice rifles so close to you, haha!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've also got a US Surcharged Westinghouse. Mine came in a Finn stock... While yours doesn't exhibit any Finn features, the font on the bolt stamping looks to ME, like maybe Finn (WAG)???... Very cool rifle, with a traveled, storied and likely never known past... Thanks for sharing.. BeSwift

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The serial number on the bolt and un-numbered mag floor and butt plate scream Finn to me. I have 1917 Remington in it's Deutchland-capture stock that otherwise is like yours but mine has a giveaway....Finn front sight.
The NEW magazine floorplate was always unnumbered. Here is a pic of another.

And the Russians also force matched bolts with the last four digits, so the source of the bolt stamping could still be still unknown.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after sorting through fifty-five guns and fourteen pages of photos at fifty photos per page, I have drawn a 100% positive conclusion on known Finnish, Russian, and Soviet fonts that were used during refurbishment force match processes.

My rock solid findings are as follows:

1. They used whatever darned dies and fonts that they had on hand at the time. I can see no correlation whatsoever in the fonts used for refurbishment stamping from any camp. Which is likely why there is no Font Sticky at the top of the forum.

2. I have a decided lack of force matched number 4's in my collection.

But it was a good exercise, nonetheless. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.