Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Mitchell Mauser has a new offering of K98s with prices beginning in the 400 range and going up. the description does not refer to Russian captures, refinishing (it does refer to mid-1945 "refurbishing"), capture screws or anything Yugo. Are these real all original k98s? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hi, Mitchell Mauser has a new offering of K98s with prices beginning in the 400 range and going up. the description does not refer to Russian captures, refinishing (it does refer to mid-1945 "refurbishing"), capture screws or anything Yugo. Are these real all original k98s? Thanks!
I would HATE to guess what they have come up with now.....probably nothing other then deceptive wording in a advertisement--very common for these folks!

But they "may" be all original German or Yugo parts--may be renumbered/rebuilt--etc....

man dont get me started again-----

EEEeerrr, I guess the best way to put this...I have NEVER--EVER seen or heard of a original 100% matching German K98 ever being in Mitchell's offerings.....

They are the Kings of deception as far as advertising goes to the average reader for sure...

There was/is plenty to read about Mitchell's Mausers---go the the "beginners start here" sticky above and do a lot of reading....

I'm sure they do offer some nice shooters, but really offer nothing that is correct original German manufactured weapons

BAF

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
Given that the war ended in early May, a "mid-1945 refubish" could have only been done by the Russians....

tim

·
Gold Bullet member
7,712 Posts
There are a few paragraphs on a page in the latest American Rifleman saying something like that. My best guess would be that they are RC's. I haven't been too impressed with American Rifleman this last year or so. They seem to help MM in their deception.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If MM sold (and marked )these things as " Reproductions built with RC parts" they could have a legit market with re-enactors and simple peasants like me who might enjoy a nice ,clean, cheap ( it's all relative) K98k look-alike in a pretty box with an english manual and some accessories. Why bother with the BS?
As it is .. gag ..choke.. vomi... ..I want to brush my teeth every time I see one of their ads. Particularly in any NRA publication. Disgusting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok then....?

I'm a Mauser newbie, but I want to buy a K98 for my dad (actually I wanted to buy an original M1, but I don't feel like mortgaging my kids education). Anyway, I was going to get a premium $699 Mitchell K98 (not the 98K/48 rework).

http://mauser.org/rifles/german_k98/index.htm

So my question is - assuming these are real are they worth it? If not, then what company actually sells authentic, high quality pieces. I hear a lot of people complaining about MM, but I see very few offer a better, authentic alternative.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
well i suppose if you dont want to do the leg work, its fine. resale will suck compared to a mauser you can get for 699. (bolt and/or stock mismatch range) if you look/ask around,
and have some patience, 699 could score you a deal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm a Mauser newbie, but I want to buy a K98 for my dad (actually I wanted to buy an original M1, but I don't feel like mortgaging my kids education). Anyway, I was going to get a premium $699 Mitchell K98 (not the 98K/48 rework).

http://mauser.org/rifles/german_k98/index.htm

So my question is - assuming these are real are they worth it? If not, then what company actually sells authentic, high quality pieces. I hear a lot of people complaining about MM, but I see very few offer a better, authentic alternative.

Thanks in advance.
The link wasn't really necessary.

·
Registered
393 Posts
why do people insist on buying that crap,all it does is encourage them to buy more to,hack,grind,restamp,sand,cheez blue more K98's,P08's,and P38's to rip off and sucker more unsuspecting new collectors into buying their crap

plus the waste of wood to build their "presentation" case's,and the very expensive butt wipe they call a "certificate of authenticity" that only certifiies that they just ripped off someone else

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,322 Posts
As you can see, no informed shooter/collector has a very positive opinion of Mitchell's. Look up the term "sucker buy" in any business directory, and they will link you with the Mitchell website.

A couple of years ago, the Marstar website had a pretty comprehensive rant published, detailing point-by-point the deception and misleading terminology Mitchell's used in their ads. One of the most notorious ad explained that Mitchell's has a Model 98 / 48 genuine wartime production Mauser with the 1939 date clearly stamped on the receiver. What you got was a Yugo Model M-48 with the Yugo crest - dated from the year (1939) Tito came to power.

I've seen many of Mitchell's offerings in the past few years, and admit that they DO look really nice. BUT ... You pay an awfully high price for what you get.

If your Dad is looking for a shooter, consider one of the M98 Russian refurbs, or even one or more of 24/47's currently available. I have gotten several that were refurbed into almost unissued/unfired condition - in fact a couple of them needed to be broken in with a few hundred rounds before they would group tightly. Depending on where you live, Big 5 or Dunhams frequently have the 24/47's for $79.95 Manager's Special sales.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Stay away from Mitchell's if you want a mauser. For that kind of money and you want an M1 get a service grade from CMP for less. You will then have a very good rifle without import marks.
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

·
Gold Bullet member
72 Posts
Outstanding advice on the M1...I believe you can get a M1 from CMP today...better hurry, they don't last long. Also, sold my MM M48 shortly after becoming a Gunboards member. Pretty, but the action was very stiff and had problems retracting the bolt after a few rounds.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mitchells 'tankers'

These Are Oretty Guns And The Offering In Different Caliber Is Innovative. Who Its Doing The Work For Them/// Is It Done Overseas And Are They Taking Matching Guns Or Cobbling These Carbines Together With Old Off The Floor Leavings?? Retread

·
Registered
413 Posts
These Are Oretty Guns And The Offering In Different Caliber Is Innovative. Who Its Doing The Work For Them/// Is It Done Overseas And Are They Taking Matching Guns Or Cobbling These Carbines Together With Old Off The Floor Leavings?? Retread
Huh?? Carbines?

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Here's a clip of Bub, in charge of Mitchell's Matching Numbers Department stamping out "matching" parts:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the helpful advice! It looks like the wise thing to do is to keep away from Mitchell

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
First let me say that the K98 offerings from MM are definetly a scam city product. Stay away. However the MM Yugo M48A offering is a very nice rifle. I had the oppertunity to pick up one "new" in the box with the Yugo accessory stuff still sealed in the bags for $200.00.

I am not a M48 fan but I wanted a nice example of one. The MM M48A filled that need for not much more than a nice surplus M48A I could get online and have to clean up. All I had to do was clean the fresh cosmo out of the bolt and it was ready to go. The other owner had not shot it. I have and it eats everthing I feed it and is as accurate as my old eyes are.

I think the reason that MM is a going concern is that most new to mil-surp folks that want to try/buy a mil-surp don't really want to put in any work on them as we would. They want a rifle out of the box that they can go to the range with just as they would a modern weapon. That and slick, misleading ads supported by the NRA/Rifleman Mag., Shame On Them the money grubbing bastards.

I am not concerned with the history of a M48 as I would be for a K98. Other than the 90s War they don't have much going for them historicly. If you can pick up a MM M48 used they are a deal IMHO for a nice looking shooter. Even the import stamp looks good.

If you can get past the MM blasphony in their ads and just want a shooter then there may be a place in the safe for a used MM M48.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
My very strong opinion is that Mitchell's advertisements are deceptive and fraudulent. They remind me of carnival barking or an old west snake oil salesmen. The fact that American Raffleman ragazine would shill for Mitchell's, printing "articles" and advertisements featuring such rubbish, at the expense of NRA members, is disturbing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1 They put the best looking Mauser in the ad and say that's what you get for $1000. They sell M48's for $300+ and you can buy a nice one for $150. I've seen some of Mitchell's Mausers at the Dunhams near me and they're nothing special.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts