Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My future wife gave me a present this weekend, a Mini 14 from her late father's collection. I'm fairly new to modern guns, but I'm stoked because it is quite familiar to me being as I own an M1.

It appears to be an early model ( serial number begins with 183 IIRC ) with a stainless finish. It is not a Ranch Rifle, it has an M1/M14 style rear sight but I do not know how to adjust it. The gun also has a bayonet lug and a birdcage flashider, it appears to be the pin on style one piece front sight/lug/flashider.

My first issue is mags, I do not have the original Ruger 5 round mag. I have two 20 rd nickel "bling" mags that are going straight in the garbage as soon I have something better. The lock up tight, but they are PITA to get in/out of the gun, and by hand cycling the gun don't seem to feed worth a damn. In addtion they have rust brewing at every seam and crappy plastic followers that hang up in the mag body. I also have a plastic 30 rounder that is every bit as bad as the other two, except for rust...

Can anybody recommend a decent aftermarket mag? I've read the rare, Ruger hi-caps are good but very pricey. I'm just looking for good quality, blued steel 20 rd mags. Nothing fancy.

I also have questions concerning the scope and mount currently on it. It has a B-square mount that attaches with a big thumb screw to the plate on the side of the reciever. Can anyone comment on quality? It snugs up nice but I think it will shoot loose and I can't believe it could hold zero if you take it off.

It also has a 3-9 variable power Bushnell scope on it that seems to be decent... but I don't know much about scopes.

Sadly the gun seems like it wasn't well taken care of, the "stainless" finish appears to be turning black and has some rust stains on it, would something like Duracoat stick? Would painting over the finish ( I'd rate it at %50 ) really hurt the value?

Also, I've read that .223 and 5.56 Nato are loaded to different specs, are both safe in this gun?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I have also found out by searching around that the gas block on the rifle is broken. The bottom portion has one of the ears broken off of it, probably from overtighting the screws.

Anybody know of source of a replacement? Numrich is out of stock.

·
Registered
116 Posts
busted part

I would send the barrel and reciever back to Ruger. I believe they would repair it for little or nothing. I had one that I broke a screw in the gas block and I shipped it to them and at no charge they sent me a new barrel and gas block on my reciever.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also, I've read that .223 and 5.56 Nato are loaded to different specs, are both safe in this gun?
I have read that if it is chambered for .223 it is best that you do not shoot 5.56 NATO since the lead is longer and the commercial chambers have tighter tolerances than millitary.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Cheaper than Dirt and J&G stock the Ruger factory 20 rounder off and on but they are 50 bucks-but they are the best mag for these guns.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,738 Posts
like to have those broken mags for parts

like to have the two mags to tinker with for the internal parts to maybe fix two i have? if your throwing them away<><school teacher:confused:

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Mini is chambered so it can shoot milsurp. The two I had shot lots of 70's USGI 5.56 with zero issues. Even my Rem 788 and 700 had no problem shooting it.

Duracoat should be good for stainless but it'd be best to ask someone who works with it to be sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have read that if it is chambered for .223 it is best that you do not shoot 5.56 NATO since the lead is longer and the commercial chambers have tighter tolerances than millitary.
According to the manual, 5.56 is fine. Mini 14's work fine with just about any .223 or 5.56 ammo, including Wolf.
I don't use Wolf only because of concern the harder primers may wear out the firing pin a bit faster. It's probably an unfounded concern, but since the rifle has to be sent back to Ruger if a firing pin ever needs to be replaced, I'm trying to extend the firing pin's life as long as possible.:D Firing pin breakage is reportedly rare but does occur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts