Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this Nagant at a a gunshop. It came with all the goddies plus an extra 32ACP cylinder. All for 100 bucks. Bore is bright and shiney. I have shot both Nagant ammo plus changed the cylinder and shot 32acp. Both worked well. I like shooting the Nagant ammo. Neet pistol. Here's some pictures.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot I bought some Lee Dies to reload for my Nagant. Any tips or hints out there?

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
Very nice example of an MO gun...you done well, Pilgrim

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I had to look up what the MO markings everyone commented on. Ministry of Defense? I plan on keeping it but would like to know what they sell for these days incase I run into another one. I had my pick of a few so I bought the earliest date. The others were made in the 40s. My brother bought one made in 1939. I didn't know about the MO markings. I should have looked at the others to see if they had any. Once I get my reloader set up I'll try to reload. Thanks for the link. I have the Lee dies which I bought from Midway.
Any tips are welcome. I'm new to Nagants.
Michael Hale

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
I forgot with the switch to the new boards, we lost a lot of our collective reloading information. Hmm. Well. I wil try and post my results over the next couple of days.

One thing to start with is the Lee Dies were set up to use the Starline 32-20 brass, and Starline Nagant brass. The Fiocchi and Hotshot brands have a much smaller rim. I ended buying a RCBS shellholder for the Fiocchi brass that I had.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
I have been using 32 Mag loading as a basis for my handloads, though on the light side. Here are some reloads that I created using Fiocchi brass and 90 grain XTP bullets:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RCBS shellholder you have in the picture, is it the 7.62 Nagant shellholder? I see Midway has them for 20 bucks. I was going to order one. I thought the shellholder that came with my Lee set was 32-20. I don't have any 32-20 brass to compair the rims. I'm going to study the link about reloading Nagant ammo also.

Michael Hale

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know what this mark is? The T mark is Tula but I don't see the circle mark on any of the Nagant collector sites. Heres a picture:

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
WOW, that is a killer deal in my book! It looks like your revolver has its original fine checkered darker wood grips and NO ugly billboard import stamp. That's sweet! If your .32 ACP cylinder works well I would not even necessarily bother trying to reload the Nagant-style round, unless of course you want the challenge. Me, I'd rather spend that extra time shooting. The .32 ACP is a pretty cheap round to begin with and is easier to reload than the Nagant if you want to play around with handloading to improve accuracy and/or stopping power.

Tim

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
The RCBS shellholder you have in the picture, is it the 7.62 Nagant shellholder? I see Midway has them for 20 bucks. I was going to order one. I thought the shellholder that came with my Lee set was 32-20. I don't have any 32-20 brass to compair the rims. I'm going to study the link about reloading Nagant ammo also.

Michael Hale
Yes, the RCBS one is designed for the "real" Nagant brass, and the Lee one fits the 32-20/Starline Nagant brass.

I have used both Starline and Fiocchi brass with success. The trick is proper lubrication, or you will definitely get a stuck case. I use Lee Case Lube diluted with alcohol in a spray bottle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Nagant is an earlier Century Import. Import markings are under the barrel. Grips look original. Large checkered dark wood wich has seen some use. It has been rebuilt as you can tell by the front sight which is later. Parts are original they have the 20s Tula marks. Cylinder is a force match probablly done when it was rebuilt. Bore is bright and shiney. My brothers has a beadblasted bore on his Nagant but it shoots well. I did ok I like it. I wish it was not inport marked with original blue but it will do. I like to get into reloading. I have 2 presses I bought and hardly used because of space. Now I have moved and have space. I plan on getting the remainder of the stuff I need and reloading ammo. Some ammo I shoot is expensive like 7.7Jap. I like a challenge and would like to shoot both 32acp and reloaded Nagant ammo. Who made the 32acp Cylinders? I wonder if they are made on the same machines as the original Nagant cylinders? Thank you everyone for the tips and please post pictures of your Nagants. I have been looking at ones from the 20s an eariler. I'll probablly buy a wartime next. A friend has a vet bringback from WW2 thats alittle rough and missing the firing pin. If he will let it go I may buy it.
Michael Hale

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
My two with matching Rubles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice set of Nagants you have. How do they shoot?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you can get good groups out of a Nagant. I'm impressed. Now I have shooting withdrawls. I guess I'll have to take mine out and go target shooting.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
I assume here that you are shooting single action. Right?
Nope, Double Action. (See photo caption: rapid fire) I can do better with single action. Not for too long, though, as that trigger starts to hurt me. :( I bought gloves for my next encounter. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts