Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

What a great resource this forum is! This is my first post and my latest rifle. I mostly collect WW2 guns and always wanted a Finn. This is my m28/30 that I picked up for $625 at the last gun show I went to. It’s bore slugs at .308” and it is not D marked. It still chambers and fires PPU 150grain soft point 7.62x54r though and has shot Tula out of it. The Tula though causes too high a pressure causing a sticky bolt and so I don’t shoot that anymore. I’m going to try PPU 185grain and save all my brass for future .308 loading.
Questions for you all. We’re these rifles dedicated to designated marksmen and snipers? How bad am I damaging the rifle by putting 60 rounds of PPU brass through it with .310 bullets? Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Does the rifle have a Civil Guard district ("S") number? Based on the date, the stock is obviously a replacement.

We’re these rifles dedicated to designated marksmen and snipers?
Apart from a few m/33 scoped rifles, the Civil Guard did not have any pre-war marksman or sniper rifles. Finnish Defence Forces did issue m/39 rifles without a scope to marksmen during the Continuation War, but m/28(-30) rifles did not hold any specific elevated status among the 7.62mm rifles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all.

What a great resource this forum is! This is my first post and my latest rifle. I mostly collect WW2 guns and always wanted a Finn. This is my m28/30 that I picked up for $625 at the last gun show I went to. It’s bore slugs at .308” and it is not D marked. It still chambers and fires PPU 150grain soft point 7.62x54r though and has shot Tula out of it. The Tula though causes too high a pressure causing a sticky bolt and so I don’t shoot that anymore. I’m going to try PPU 185grain and save all my brass for future .308 loading.
Questions for you all. We’re these rifles dedicated to designated marksmen and snipers? How bad am I damaging the rifle by putting 60 rounds of PPU brass through it with .310 bullets? Thanks all!

View attachment 3795593 View attachment 3795594 View attachment 3795595 View attachment 3795596
Nice rifle you have there.
Hi all.

View attachment 3795593 View attachment 3795594 View attachment 3795595 View attachment 3795596
Love the look of these Finn rifles. Beauty!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the rifle have a Civil Guard district ("S") number? Based on the date, the stock is obviously a replacement.

Apart from a few m/33 scoped rifles, the Civil Guard did not have any pre-war marksman or sniper rifles. Finnish Defence Forces did issue m/39 rifles without a scope to marksmen during the Continuation War, but m/28(-30) rifles did not hold any specific elevated status among the 7.62mm rifles.
Yes, it has a S number but I can’t send a pic right now. I know it’s from Helsinki though. Was going to reach out to Marti to have him look it up more

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don’t think you’ll damage your rifle at all shooting .310 Privi soft points through your .308 bore. Austrian captures were rechambered to 8x50r without reboring the barrel. So that’d be 4mm of unsupported shoulder and squeezing a .323 bullet through a .312 bore. The Mosin action is very strong. I’m sure that rifle of yours fired many .312 steel jacketed bullets during it’s time as a fighting rifle. I don’t think .002 of copper jacket is going to hurt it. The hair on your head is about .004 thousandths if it’s brown. Maybe .003 if it’s blonde. So I say don’t stress about it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice Rifle I wouldnt worry about the bore ,mine has a different cleaning rod your looks like a m39 rod.
stock looks like it was replace but in nice condition.With the way ammo is now you got to shoot what you can get even reloading supplies are becoming scarce.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi all.

Nice rifle. I have SK.Y. serial number 50931 so not too may units in between. Mine is dated 1937.

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,495 Posts
You pay what you have to you will make money on it if you keep it.
The only Regret I every have had is passing on a fin model because I assumed I would find one cheaper,and then never finding another.
I have done that at a gun show more than once. I'd go back, and sure enough, it was gone,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.