Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this carbine today at a local gunshow. I don't know anything about these, so I thought I would join so I could learn. Here are a few pics of it.

What can you all tell me about it?

Thanks, AC

I also bought this ammo for it. He has a few more boxes, should I buy it if it is hard to get?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Nice looking M95. Beautiful stock!

Looks to have been made by Steyr, Austria in 1919. (Wn 19) The S 6 under the Wn19 denotes use by the Czechs prior to WWII. A lot of M95's made there way to Czech. and Bulgaria in the interwar period. Look to see if the top of the buttplate has any numbers stamped. The Czechs sometimes unit marked these rifles.

The large S stamp on the barrel means that the rifle was updated from the original 8x50 to 8x56r round. I think this was done in 1934 or thereabouts.

Definitely buy all the 8x56r you can. Its harder and harder to come by. I think about .40/round is the going price. If you can get it for less, do so.

Also, fair warning - these carbines kick like the dicken's!! But if you're a recoil junkie, you'll enjoy shooting her!

T

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Alamo! I wondered about the S and 6, it looks like a bear by a tree or something between them. I did do a little research before I joined and found out about the S for 8x56R caliber. I figured it's going to kick! I'll go to the guys place and buy all I can of the ammo. One of the boxes looks like a German eagle and swastika on it. Is that more collectable than the other one?
I'm real excited about this rifle, even more so than the US Springfield Trapdoor I have; I don't know why, probably because it's so small and unique.
There aren't any numbers on top of the butt plate, but there are two on top of the stock just forward of the butt plate, a 17 in a square and a 20 in a double square (one inside the other).

·
Super Moderator
11,674 Posts
... a 20 in a double square (one inside the other).
The "square 20" is considered a Bulgarian rework stamp. Also, judging by the distance between the lower & the upper bands looks like yours is a stutzen (or probably a karabinerstutzen), converted to a carbine configuration by removing the bottom sling swivels.

The "bear by a tree" should be the Czech lion.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Nick, that's probably what it is. I bought a jeweler's loupe today also to check these things out, probably saw too much detail. That thing really works good. I think you're right about the conversion, it looks like a sling swivel was removed from the bottom of the stock, it has been inletted with wood to fill the holes or whatever.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am going to clean it up a bit, I am thinking about using CLP to remove the cosmoline on the external metal and in the bore, will that work? Do I have to remove the bolt and take it apart? I saw that is not real easy!

·
Super Moderator
11,674 Posts
.... Do I have to remove the bolt and take it apart? I saw that is not real easy!
Of course you have to! Consider this a foreplay :D That way you will learn a lot about your rifle, life is not just shooting, you know.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
O Boy! I saw a link to how to do that at Randy Rick's website. :eek:

You know, I wonder how the action works with just a pull and push. The locking lugs must be spring loaded to lock, I wonder how they unlock when you pull; why doesn't recoil unlock them?

·
Super Moderator
11,674 Posts
.. The locking lugs must be spring loaded to lock, I wonder how they unlock when you pull; why doesn't recoil unlock them?
No, their movement is controlled by the spiral canals in the bolt - like in AK or in M1 Garand. The recoil will not unlock them as the force is against the bolt head and the locking lugs.

As I said - disassemble it and play with it, you will learn something.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Nick. I will learn a lot when I do it. The only other military rifles I own are a US Springfield 45-70 Trapdoor rifle and a Colt pre ban AR15, and I haven't ever taken it apart to that extent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts