Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I have been reading here for a couple of weeks and find this place very informative

I have two Swedish Mousers M96 one is an 1899 Oberndorf and a 1916 Carl Gustaf's, the Carl Gustaf's bore looks shinier and maybe be better, on the Oberndorf the lands and grooves are visible and deep but seems darker and the best I can see with a bore light leaves me uncertain about firing it
is there a simple way to check for head space and bore condition, I tried to find a gunsmith in my area, but none have a head space Gage also while cleaning the 1899 Oberndorf the rod was moving in short pulses as if it were uneven in some spots in diameter but can't confirm that visually overall it looks good aside from a darker bore

any suggestions or help would be great thanks.

·
Diamond Member
517 Posts
fritz1- Does your bolt number match your receiver serial?...its probably good to go. I wouldn't worry about headspace on a matching rifle.

If your Obie is heavily pitted or dirty it might make the patch grab while pushing it through the barrel. Were the patches especially filthy after pushing them through?

I'd suggest a good cleaning after shooting it. This will help break free a lot of built up gunk.

Foaming bore cleaners are a blessing too. It might save a alot of elbow grease.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,684 Posts
Regimental Swedish headspace gauges are not available in the USA . It is RARE to find them in Sweden for sale , although Anders just sold a set recently . Don't hold your breath waiting for another set !!!! Your best bet is to buy a Forster 6.5x55 " Field " gauge for about $20 or so , if you want piece of mind . These are not to Swedish specs , but close . Even if it closes on the Field gauge , it may be in Swedish specs . See the section on Swedish headspace gauges at the Dutchman's House of Karlina .

www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/

Swedish bore gauges are even harder to find . There are aftermarket 6.5 m/m bore gauges on EBAY & Gunbroker in the $60 price range . Barrels were replaced if a 6.56 m/m gauge went into the bore . Put a 6.50 m/m gauge on your cleaning rod & run it through your barrel . Keep going up in size until it won't go . If you have tight & loose spots , that is not good . You can check the muzzle with a live round . If the case is about 1/8th inch from touching the barrel with the bullet in the bore , that end is probably OK . You need the bore gauges to check the throat .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike thanks yes the bolt and receiver match in fact it's all matching

years ago I had a 1900 Obie I was young and nothing scared me so I just shot it from day one it was great

I had these two for two years now and no shots fired yet

Swede thanks for all the info, didn't know about the gages being so rare I knew they weren't popular, I'll try to look for one you mentioned

I did the live round thing and it looks good at the muzzel

I read some place someone would put some kind of powder on a live round and close the bolt then check where the powder was disturbed and evidence of contact with bolt and chamber have you?

Thanks for the quick reply guys I posted this reply from my BlackBerry's tiny keyboard so hope no crazy typos

·
Diamond Member
517 Posts
Blackberry? I promised to slit my wrists before I ever try and type on one of those things. My thumbs are the size of hams.

If it were mine...this is what I'd do: I'd just shoot the thing and see what happens.

If you've got a matching rifle, I seriously doubt your rifle's headspace would be so far out of spec as to be a danger.

How were the patches?

By shooting it, you may loosen years of negelected debris built up in your barrel and it would aid in cleaning.

I mean accuracy-wise and bore condition-wise, it might be the easiest thing to do.

I don't think I'm suggesting anything dangerous.....but lets hear from others.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I concur with the above, but still... A dark, dirty and rough bore I would probably give a work-over with some JB Paste and see what happens. That stuff can do wonders to dirty and neglected bores!

Pettson

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike yes I hate typing on this thing, but it's a slow day at the office and it helps pass time

I was able to get the patches fairly clean but if I start scrubbing harder, I tried some old rem bore clean the yellow bottle with the grey gooey stuff it gets dirty again until I run 4 or 5 patches I'm going to try some of the foaming stuff suggested earlier

I may go ahead and take it to the range this weekend if it's above 15 degrees

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,665 Posts
I can't imagine a Swede bore so corroded that its not shootable.
I came into possession of a m/96 that didn't have sights or a matching bolt. The outside looked real nice after I rubbed down the stock with 0000 steel wool to remove old white paint specs and clean off accumulated dirt.

The bore was filthy. Not only filthy but extremely worn. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and still the patches came out dirty. I gave up and shot it. At 50 yards it keyholes cast bullets. Its the absolute worse condition Swedish Mauser barrel I've ever been. I can't imagine how it got out of Sweden that way. But a close examination of the wood-to-metal fit revealed something not all that common with Swedish Mausers. It was tightly bedded and the wood was unrefinished. The bedding, in fact, rivaled Ludwig Loewe Mauser inletting.
http://dutchman.rebooty.com/wood_to_metal.html

I have one single new spare m/96 barrel. I think this rifle will be the one that gets it. I put sights on it and put an excellent condition bolt in it. But it won't shoot for sh*t as it is. Fact is it was one of the "sightless Swedes" Century Arms sold for $60 long ago. Came out of a shooting club hence no original sights as many were removed when diopter sights were installed. I've developed an attachment for this rifle despite itself. When all the matching collectible rifles are sold off this will be one of the few I keep to shoot.

Dutchman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.