Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
At this point I'd like to ask if you simply want a barrel chambered for the 8x57 Mauser cartridge or do you want a barrel in that caliber profiled like a Model 98 barrel?

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,127 Posts
Yugo 8x57 will only fit the model 48 yugos and other 'mid range' length mausers only, they will not fit on a large ring model 98 or a Turk small ring model 38. That is a great deal for folks with worn out 48 barrels though.
gil

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Just got a Sportsman's Guide catalog (yeah, I know the reputation).........they're advertising a "factory original" yugo mauser barrel in 8x57, in the white, for $55.....no mention of short or fully chambered.
As far as reputation goes, I have to say that I have never had a problem with SG which had not been resolved to my satisfaction. I am, and remain a regular customer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have seen two swede mausers in 6.5 with the lothar walther barrels and they shoot like you can't believe.As good as the stock swede shoots ,these really improve the accuracy.They were already chambered and indexed right when tightened down. Arnie

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
That is not all true. The M48 barrel is a large ring barrel with the proper shank length, but there is a ring of metal(boss) at the chamber end. If installed in a M98 Mauser, this ring needs to be removed or the bolt face nibs need to be removed and the breech notched for the extractor. It was put there to provide the safety breech feature. The barrel steps are like those of a VZ24 Mauser barrel and don't quite match the K98k barrel. Most Turk Mausers use a small thread barrel and of course those cannot fit unless the barrel is turned down and re-threaded. Turk 98/22's and later GEW 98 re-treads are large ring and will work.
Yugo 8x57 will only fit the model 48 yugos and other 'mid range' length mausers only, they will not fit on a large ring model 98 or a Turk small ring model 38. That is a great deal for folks with worn out 48 barrels though.
gil

·
Registered
831 Posts
That is not all true. The M48 barrel is a large ring barrel with the proper shank length, but there is a ring of metal(boss) at the chamber end. If installed in a M98 Mauser, this ring needs to be removed or the bolt face nibs need to be removed and the breech notched for the extractor. It was put there to provide the safety breech feature. The barrel steps are like those of a VZ24 Mauser barrel and don't quite match the K98k barrel. Most Turk Mausers use a small thread barrel and of course those cannot fit unless the barrel is turned down and re-threaded. Turk 98/22's and later GEW 98 re-treads are large ring and will work.
Check me on this: Turn the small boss off the barrel so that it's flush and 98, 98/22, VZ24 type actions will function. Any report as to fully chambered and throated status? If so, I assume headspace can be adjusted with the barrels shoulder. Correct?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
gil
They will indeed fit a std 98. Some fitting may be required.

Lots of makers of 8x57 barrels out there. Any competent smith can profile one to match a military contour. LW makes em in both sporter and military contour, and they can be had fully chambered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.