Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you alls opinion on the price that would sell fast, and which type would in your opinion sell the best/is the best for the highest price.

Hungarian HB copper washed 7.62x54R
Albainian brass cased 7.62x54r
Bulgarian HB brass cased 50's 7.62x54r
Czech silver tipped steel cased in 20 round boxes 7.62x54R
Czech brass cased 50's 8mm Mauser in 15 round boxes
Yugo 80's 8mm brass cased on links in 250 round ammo cans
Korean corrosive 30 06 on clips, bandoleers in ammo cans

Any thoughts will be appreciated by me.

Tribrothers

·
Banned
539 Posts
The Albanian because its not readily available and the cases are worth money.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Gee....I would think the Albanian would be the cheapist....because some of it is so crappy!

Czech Silver tip and Bulgarian Heavy Ball would get my top dollar.

You know you are going to get a different opinion from every "expert"....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will read into each person's opinion and then make the decision based on the most profitable/least time consuming/what I want to keep most in the end.
Some of you all have kept up with the various surplus types more than I have, so I would think you all know the market better than I do. If one type is the top of everybodies list and sells for 90 cents per round, then that one would definitely go with me;)

Please, chime in with any and all opinions unless it is for me to give it away:(

Tribrohters

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want to sell out quickly I think you should price as such...

Hungarian HB copper washed 7.62x54R....15cts/rd
Albainian brass cased 7.62x54r..............13cnts/rd
Bulgarian HB brass cased 50's 7.62x54r...13cnts/rd
Czech silver tipped steel cased in 20 round boxes 7.62x54R...15cts/rd
Czech brass cased 50's 8mm Mauser in 15 round boxes......20cnts/rd
Yugo 80's 8mm brass cased on links in 250 round ammo cans....25cnts/rd
Korean corrosive 30 06 on clips, bandoleers in ammo cans......30cnts/rd

the 762x54 would be the ammo that sells the slowest because there is a lot of it around. If you price the ammo where it is about what the dealers can buy it for then they may buy it up to clear it off your table and all the ammo dealers have extra cash to spend right now. If you go a little high then you might haul it in and out without selling much, and if the crowd is not there to buy that caliber then the dealers are your best outlet.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Pretty clearly the .30 & 8mm

My vote would be the 8mm (and brass, though it is 50's and corrosive) and the .30-06 -- there is almost none of the latter to be had (though they may not be breaking the doors down for that either any more).
Alden

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
If you want to sell out quickly I think you should price as such...

Hungarian HB copper washed 7.62x54R....15cts/rd
Albainian brass cased 7.62x54r..............13cnts/rd
Bulgarian HB brass cased 50's 7.62x54r...13cnts/rd
Czech silver tipped steel cased in 20 round boxes 7.62x54R...15cts/rd
Czech brass cased 50's 8mm Mauser in 15 round boxes......20cnts/rd
Yugo 80's 8mm brass cased on links in 250 round ammo cans....25cnts/rd
Korean corrosive 30 06 on clips, bandoleers in ammo cans......30cnts/rd

the 762x54 would be the ammo that sells the slowest because there is a lot of it around. If you price the ammo where it is about what the dealers can buy it for then they may buy it up to clear it off your table and all the ammo dealers have extra cash to spend right now. If you go a little high then you might haul it in and out without selling much, and if the crowd is not there to buy that caliber then the dealers are your best outlet.
Those prices are too low imo. You can get 20 cents for the hungarian or silvertip, 15 cents for the alby/bulgy, 25 for the czech brass, and 30 for the yugo brass. That's comparable to prices our sponsors are going for. Korean 30-06 i cannot price accurately.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
The key phrase is "quickly".
If he prices below market value it will move faster.
If he matches the wholesalers price point, he will sit on it for months.
FWIW, CMP has 30.06 (and Garands AND 03a3's).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is exactly what I had hoped for. This forum really keeps up with the day to day of the market we are currently in, and I thank each of you for sharing your information with me.

Thank you again,
Tribrothers

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
If it helps, I just sold out of late 80's Albanian, a total of 10 440rnd cans, sold as seperate 20rnd packets at $5.00 per packet.
It took me 6 or 8 shows to sell it all BUT at the last two shows, guys showed up and bought all I had out for sale at $5.00 per 20rnd.
The larger ammo seller/s have been pricing 20rnd packets of 54R at better than $7.00, so I think you could move 20rnd packs for $5.00 or $6.00 at a decent pace.
Drop it to $4.00 and it should fly off your table, maybe even to other vendors tables where it will get bumped and resold...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Local prices

Bulgarian LB, at Southwest Ammunition ( they will be at Market Hall ) , was $4.00 until this week, just got raised to $7.00. The Armory has little, and has nothing under $7.00, Ammo Depot was $6.00 for nothing great. Military Gun Supply was $7.00 for Bulgarian LB.
Czech silvertip, Hungarian HB both are long gone. Yes, they do pop up at the shows, but sporadically, and prices go from good to horrible.
Last Big Town show had almost no 54r, except for Brown Bear.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
The key phrase is "quickly".
If he prices below market value it will move faster.
If he matches the wholesalers price point, he will sit on it for months.
FWIW, CMP has 30.06 (and Garands AND 03a3's).
AIM seems to have no trouble moving their stuff very quickly at those prices- i am aware a gunshow is different but there is no reason not to come in with "high" prices and drop them later. Your high prices will look amazing compared to most fools at the gunshow.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The easiest way is to see what the big guys are selling it for. I sell 54r all day long for 5.00 a box w/ no problem. MiWall Wholesale ammo at show in Phoenix was selling Czech 54r from the 50s for that price, and it was all heavy ball. I can match them, and tell the customer you don't charge sales tax either, or that the tax is included. Most big ammo vendors are all sold out of surplus 8mm. The 5 dollar box of 15 sure looks better than the 14.00 dollar box of Wolf Gold, or 18.00 box of Sellior and Bellot or Winch. 25c a round on 54r is a bargain right now. If you really want to move it quicker, go 39 a can, or 2 cans for 75.00! You will make 3.00 less but people always like a twofer, and if you are not into it too badly, losing 3.00 will move it quicker. I would sell the Yugo on the mg links for 35c a round cause you are getting the links and can for free. Guys love those cans. Thats still only 7.00 for 20 rounds, and that's what MiWall get for the m75. I have shot both in very accurate rifles and have seen no difference in accuracy. Remember your signs, ammo closeout, blowout, etc. Have skeptics compare with the big guys, and adding their tax, show them your price! Get the most for your work and money!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Louie
I have to start thinking retail in marketing while a little wholesale while offering deals like the twofers. I had not thought about that, but it would catch me to go ahead and buy two vs one. Most folks at gunshows look at things below a $100 as extras and getting to carry out 600 rounds for $75 is a bargain now.

Thank you to all again. I am really looking forward to the adventure. I hope everybody is not to wiped out by Christmas and New Year hangovers. If I get enough extra cash, I might just have to buy something neat if it is offered;)

Tribrothers

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
I always tried to "build in a discount" for ammo sales... that is, you have a 20rd price / a 100rd price / and then a price for a full tin/case whatever.

So on your Bulgarian 54R you have signs posted:
$5/20rds call this a "sampler" (25cents/rd)
$21/100rds call this a "shooter" (21cents/rd)
$45/300rd tin call this a "blaster special" (15cents/rd)

You get the idea.....brings in the buyers who balk at your 20rd price. If I see a guy with a crap load of ammo and only a price per box...I think he wants that price for all of it!

Sure guys will want a "deal" on two tins so don't put the one tin price too low!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.