Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, at the Rochester Gun Show this weekend I was able to get a repro M1A1 stock! I've wanted one for some time and although not historically accurate (my only carbine is a National Postal Meter) this is exactly what I wanted. I did overpay for it, but I think it was worth it since no one will ship them to New York state, but whatever. In any case here it is!

The only problems I have are:
-My barrel band will not fit over the actual latch that is supposed to hold it in place, but it seems fine for now

-After I got it home I noticed a crack in the back of the stock, but I don't think it will be too big of a deal. I just wished I'd noticed at the show so I could have lowered the price a bit, ha! Oh well, live and learn...

I also picked up a 30 round mag wrapped in the wax paper. There are no markings on it so I'm curious as to whether or not it is USGI or not. Any way to tell, because I just assumed since it was still wrapped in wax paper it probably was. I saw some opened ones with SEY markings but they were quite rusted. Anyway, all I need is a cheap bayonet now and I'll be happy!

This expanded a little bit after shooting, but I figured that's what would happen..

·
Registered
832 Posts
I gave my Quality Hardware the "A1" treatment a few years back, when the stocks were only $150. Mine fit just fine, only problem is that it will not hold an oiler. I found that changing it really improved my ability to shoot it in my particular case. Found that strange, I am well familiar with the M1 Garand, so I was surprised to see an improvement just because it has a pistol grip to it now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I always wanted an M1A1, so I hunted up a repro stock soon after I got my CMP Inland. Though I like folding stocks, I found I didn't much care for the M1A1...the pistol grip seemed fat and short, and tight to my hand because of the stock loop/sling mount. I quickly sold it, since I found I prefer the standard stock.
The barrel band latch was the same on mine...I gave it a little filing so it would latch. The oiler will fit with a wrap of tape. Also, the handguard that came with mine was so tall it obstructed the sights.
Anyway, it was fun to try out the weapon of our paras in Normandy.
The 30-rd mag you bought is most likely a repro. I have found that the Korean mags, both 15rd and 30rd, work great. I installed an M2 mag catch on my carbine to use the 30's.

·
Registered
924 Posts
IMHO the M1A1 carbine is overrated--a conclusion I reached after purchasing a reproduction stock and a CMP carbine to put in it. I thought it would be a handy weapon to carry in my truck while out in the desert. I discovered it is heavier than a regular M1 carbine, and due to the sling attachment point on the pistol grip it is more awkward to carry slung (with stock either folded or open) than a regular M1 carbine. As a previous poster noted, the pistol grip was apparently designed for The Incredible Hulk--again, the M1 carbine stock is far more comfortable in the area gripped by the trigger finger hand.

I suppose for jumping out of airplanes the shorter length was convenient. For any other use, including carrying in my truck, I've found the regular-length M1 carbine just as convenient to carry, and far better balanced. On another forum someone once speculated on firing the M1A1 one-handed, like a pistol. I have neither the desire nor the intention of ever doing this--but if I did, I think the full-stocked M1 carbine would work better because of its superior balance.

The problem is that these are logical arguements against a weapon whose appeal has nothing to do with logic.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely bought this for the historical aspect and because it just looks so cool, but I also liked shooting it a bit more than with the regular stock. While the pistol grip itself is pretty, well, goofy and difficult to grasp effectively, I feel the rifle was easier to work with, though you guys have very valid points. As the saying goes, "to each his own". However I can't see why someone would shoot this one handed like a pistol, haha! Now that's just rediculous!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The wood looked pretty nice on mine, too...the too=tall handguard wasn't a problem, I just used the one that came with my carbine. By the way, my Inland has a six-digit serial that I believe falls in the right range for M1A1's. Here is a pic:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts