Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he bought it yesterday and got some loads going for this morning. At 100m I put three rounds into just over half an inch - 140gr PPU cheapo bullets over 35.4gr of N140.

Here is is - dated 1913, BTW -

He paid £2300.00 for it. That's presently $3887.00

That's UK for ya.

tac

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
From only seeing one photo , it appears to be a nice example of a M41b sniper . Prices vary from country to country and even region to region here in the USA . What is it worth to you ( or your pal ) is all that matters !!!!!!!!!!!! I guess that is near the going rate in the UK ? We had two M41b snipers sell in the USA , over $3000 each last year .

Does a rifle carrying a sniper tag make it harder to purchase or own in the UK ? Or the same as a Winchester M70 with a scope for hunting ?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good Day Tac,
That is a nice looking m/41B. I am curious, is the recoil stop screw (ställskruv) missing from the front of the rail? I can see a nub but it doesn't look like the hex head (Läsmutter) that sets the recoil screw. Shooting the rifle without it installed can really jam the mount onto the rail. If that happens, don't try and lever it off. I've seen an Orberndorf m/41B with a bent lever as the result of a wedged mount.

Were you shooting at Bisely? The benches remind me of Short Siberia.

Best Always,
Michael

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does a rifle carrying a sniper tag make it harder to purchase or own in the UK ? Or the same as a Winchester M70 with a scope for hunting ?
I'm not sure that I understand where you are coming from with your question. Have I misunderstood it, or are you asking if the descriptive name of a firearm determines the ease of licensing?

Sure, the UK has some pretty strange laws regarding ownership and possession of firearms, but putting obstacles in the way of ownership because of what it is or was called is not yet one of them.

I have a Bow-Teach comound bow called a 'Predator' - and over here we do not go 'hunting' with rifles, we go 'deet stalking' or just stalking, so rifles are called 'stalking rifles'. Seems to be no problem with that nomenclature, and it seems to me that stalking is a mite more antisocial than plain ol' 'sniping'.

How does this rifle look to you?

That's my Krico 650SS - 'scharfschuetzengewehr' right there in the actual name of the thing. I use it in the 'sniping match', along with other wannabe snipers - sometimes even real ones.

I can't show you my Steyr SSG, another 'scharfschuetzengewehr' that I owned almost thirty years since I swapped it to get the Krico.

Best

tac

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Day Tac,
That is a nice looking m/41B. I am curious, is the recoil stop screw (ställskruv) missing from the front of the rail? I can see a nub but it doesn't look like a hex head (Läsmutter). Shooting the rifle without it installed can really jam the mount onto the rail. If that happens, don't try and lever it off. I've seen an Orberndorf m/41B with a bent lever as the result of a wedged mount.

Were you shooting at Bisely? The benches remind me of Short Siberia.

Best Always,
Michael
Yes, you are correct - the screw is missing, something I pointed out to the new owner already. It was like this in the dealers when I last looked at it in the Fall of last year - the dealer, who knows SFA about anything Swedish [except the four-letter furniture maker], was told at that time, but has done nothing to improve matters. If anybody knows where I might find such a screw, I be grateful to have it.

No, the range is not Bisley, but our own range here on the Northants/Cambs border - go to Youtube - tac's gun - new range

View attachment 777426

tac

PS - Swede - please notice the Mosin-Nagant sniping rifle in use by the nearest shooter.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
Just curious if the evil " sniper " name tag set off a red flag of ownership in the UK .

If the threads on the sniper base have not been altered , the stop screw is a common M5 hex screw . It should be available anywhere in the UK .

It does look like the mount is bottomed out against the stop . Looks like a boss in front of the bracket ? Maybe welded on to repair a stripped thread ?

·
Registered
786 Posts
m/41B

We have found the m/41B to be very accurate with a light recoil making it a pleasure to shoot.

Bench rested at the Short Siberia. Powder used N140.

Chamber date 1900. Scope date 1942. All matching numbers, the only missing accessory is the scope canister.

It was expensive even 20 years ago, but well worth it!

G and L A-R-West

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have found the m/41B to be very accurate with a light recoil making it a pleasure to shoot.

Bench rested at the Short Siberia. Powder used N140.

Chamber date 1900. Scope date 1942. All matching numbers, the only missing accessory is the scope canister.

It was expensive even 20 years ago, but well worth it!

G and L A-R-West
Nice- my three shots measured just over half an inch, but he'd run out of rounds by then, so I couldn't ruin it with a fourth shot two inches away......;)

tac

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious if the evil " sniper " name tag set off a red flag of ownership in the UK .

If the threads on the sniper base have not been altered , the stop screw is a common M5 hex screw . It should be available anywhere in the UK .

It does look like the mount is bottomed out against the stop . Looks like a boss in front of the bracket ? Maybe welded on to repair a stripped thread ?
The name of a gun is of absolutely no consequence here in UK - all that is needed on the license is the calibre and type of action to describe it.

I'll point out all these things that you have mentioned to the owner - what I know about Swedish firearms could be written in large letters on an angel's eyelash. The seller knew even less than I.

tac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts