Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
49,420 Posts
No, before you could see a list of sub forums and you could see the last thread listed in that sub and when.
For instance, say the Modern Handgun sub, it would show you: New Beretta 92, last post by Whiny McWhiny Ratman

I don’t want to wade through a shitpile of new posts about Carcanos and someone’s new refurb Mosin.

**** You.

**** You too.

I have a pop up blocker, I still get a stupid pop up about push notifications.

I use an IPhone, have been using one for many years, never had a major problem.

Agreed, and the one who just called me a whiner can go ** themself, a moderator shouldn’t be a fucking ***.
He can ban me, I don’t need to be insulted by a fucking mod who is picking and trolling me like a fucking child.

I was venting my displeasure at the new look and offering my reasons why in the hopes that the site developer might address them since I wasn’t answered in the “we're live” thread, instead I’m fucking insulted by a mod.
Well **** him.

Thanks to everyone who offered a legitimate response to the issues I was having.

But screw it, I’m not being insulted by a * with a ban hammer.
click your avatar on the top right,

click preferences and change up some stuff,

and then click privacy, there is a button you can push to kill the push notifications,

turn all the settings off, then play around a bit on what you want to turn back on

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I design and deploy software for a living, so I understand this. What I am not hearing is why the use scenarios and user interaction flow had to change so much. Platform security, supportability and performance does not have to be absolutely tied to the UI unless there are other factors, like getting the default screens unless you pay for something custom. Take this or take a hike responses from moderators don't help this much.
Absolutely agree!!! I love some new features of new platform and all. Unlimited inbox is huge upgrade too. But... The new layout is just somehow horrible! It's so bad that after about 20 minutes reading a thread I develop a headache and just want to leave my desk. I can't really explain it but it feels like combination of fonts and colors is just so wrong. Feels raw and unfinished.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Absolutely agree!!! I love some new features of new platform and all. Unlimited inbox is huge upgrade too. But... The new layout is just somehow horrible! It's so bad that after about 20 minutes reading a thread I develop a headache and just want to leave my desk. I can't really explain it but it feels like combination of fonts and colors is just so wrong. Feels raw and unfinished.
It's a little too busy, and what's the deal with the grey circles blocking out some of the thread? PAX

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot of sites have been hacked in recent years simply because they used old software. New software costs money, and companies try to put off new expenses for as long as possible. My optometrist was still using Windows XP up until three years ago...when the business was hacked. Obsolete software doesn't get updated anymore, but security vulnerabilities keep getting discovered in it, attracting hackers like sharks. There comes a point when the old software simply can't be supported anymore. Look at Microsoft still trying to get people to stop using Internet Explorer, and Adobe is pulling the plug on Flashplayer this December.

The old site software was probably several generations too old, so naturally any replacement was going to look radical by comparison. However, I'll bet the new forum software is easier to maintain, change, and secure than the old. Old softwares can be written in obsolete computer languages that lack the levels of security and privacy we know we need. Modern hardware might not even support an obsolete computer language. Eventually, you upgrade or the system will collapse around your ears.

To me, this is a very clean-looking interface, but then I'm using the latest version of macOS with the newest version of Apple's Safari browser. With pop-ups, ads, and trackers blocked on every website, I see nothing here but messages and lots of white space. Not an ad in sight -- I like it.

Upgrade to a modern browser, turn on all its security features, stop letting your search engine spy on you (that's why you get so many ads), and you'll see improvements in all your browsing. Then play with your preferences here. You'll see improvements.

Rick

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Seems to be working fine in the AK/sks sub forum.

Everything we used to do in the old skin, we can still do in some form in the new one. Some functions are actually easier. It's just a matter of figuring out how to navigate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In all seriousness the site needed updated, more from an IT standpoint. Also it seems like post are down on pretty much all fourms lately. Betting it has a lot to do with the political polarisation and secondary effects of Covid.

I only have some small issues with the design. Like the search bar should auto hide on the mobile site, to save screen space. Or Quotes are a pain to use on the desktop version.

This is however one bigish issue that seriously needs looked in to. The site is broken on firefox mobile. The layout don't work properly, there are bits in weird places or missing. The bigger issue is the advertisment near the comment/reply section of post. Only with that browser will load invasive advertisments that will auto redirect to virus app pages..... Worse yet you can only reply/comment about 1/4 of the time because of this, the rest of the time you have to close the tab and try again as it redirected you enough pages you cant go back. Thought it was just my device at first, but after some malwar scans resulting in no findings I verified it on annouther device. Same browser, same spot on the page, same invasive advertisments.

Had to swich to Chrome just to use this site on mobile....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Far be it for me to say I am in love with everything the new platform brings to the table, but if you hate it so bad why do you stay?
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Ruger.net and Red S&W forums have also gone to this format.

On all 3 (including this one) I am using the "black background" setting - it is much easier on my eyes.

Click on the icon in the right corner of the header bar (if you place the cursor arrow over it the words "account details" pop up). Then click on "preferences" in the left-hand column. The top line on the right says "style" - click on "dark mode", then scroll to the bottom and click on "save".

·
Copper Bullet Member
552 Posts
I just got on successfully for the first time since the New format . I have to agree with the folks complaining but I am a geezer and not tech Savy . I should celebrate that I’m finally in ! Change is inevitable though.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Bingo....Bingo! I do not know what was wrong with the old format? For an old timer like me its a pain on the butt to get to learn the mw features of this format......just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
97 Posts
My understanding is the old platform was unsupported and outdated.

Think of it as having a laptop with xp on it in a world where everything is geared towards windows 10, things just didn't play well together.
Windows 10 what a great idea!, makes several $300.00-$450.00 programs unusable, Progress!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I must say I am getting used to it. Seems they gather what you look at and have recommended threads. Hitting the 'New' button gets current posts. I seem to be learning how to navigate.
Going to look at settings soon. See what I can do there to improve my experience.

That orange show at the top will always be annoying. Wonder if that is necessary.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I clear my cookies regularly. I only see it when I am on a thread. Not on the home page.
Might be this old computer at work, but does same on the newer one at home.

Someone else here has the same thing

·
Registered
97 Posts
It seems like several other forums are switching to this layout. It's not disagreeable to me just something different I need to explore.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts