Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
I can't use it ! I guess I'm done here ! Why fix something that wasn't broken ?
But it was broke, and becoming worse by the day, just ask anyone accessing with a I-Phone or Galaxy phone. Not to mention the scammers where having a field day with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Guys - this may just fall on deaf ears... the problems with old software is that the software makers don't update security protocols for their stuff anymore. That makes it more likely the site gets hacked. Would you rather deal with the frustration of learning a new site, or having your information (passwords/email/messages/funding accounts) compromised? Yes, learning new sucks, especially when the new is frustrating - but I promise the forum admin/owners didn't decide to do this for fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I design and deploy software for a living, so I understand this. What I am not hearing is why the use scenarios and user interaction flow had to change so much. Platform security, supportability and performance does not have to be absolutely tied to the UI unless there are other factors, like getting the default screens unless you pay for something custom. Take this or take a hike responses from moderators don't help this much.

Guys - this may just fall on deaf ears... the problems with old software is that the software makers don't update security protocols for their stuff anymore. That makes it more likely the site gets hacked. Would you rather deal with the frustration of learning a new site, or having your information (passwords/email/messages/funding accounts) compromised? Yes, learning new sucks, especially when the new is frustrating - but I promise the forum admin/owners didn't decide to do this for fun.
\

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I design and deploy software for a living, so I understand this. What I am not hearing is why the use scenarios and user interaction flow had to change so much. Platform security, supportability and performance does not have to be absolutely tied to the UI unless there are other factors, like getting the default screens unless you pay for something custom. Take this or take a hike responses from moderators don't help this much.

\
I agree with you 100%

Also I would like to term limits for moderators. Because some of them are douche bags!

·
Registered
161 Posts

\
Probably because this is (now) a widely used forum software/program that has shown to be both stable and secure, and building a whole new deal that looked like the old but ran like the new wasn't in the budget? Just a guess.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,318 Posts
How many complaining have read the FAQ?
Have an adequate pop up blocker turned on? They’re free, you know.
How many have set their preferences ?
Just about every “problem” can be adjusted away. From there I sit, when I see these complaints now, I ignore them. Its clear you haven’t done your homework.
if it sucks so bad, remember, this place isn’t an airport.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,428 Posts
But it was broke, and becoming worse by the day, just ask anyone accessing with a I-Phone or Galaxy phone. Not to mention the scammers where having a field day with it.

this,
need proof? if you have been on the net a while, look at what happened to Jouster, re the updates and getting hacked,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unsure at first, but getting it all sorted out. I like some aspects of it and learning the rest.

A (bit) techno challenged guy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,854 Posts
I have been using it for a while over on the Marlin owners forum and it kind of is OK now. Set your preferences etc and you can get used to it. Push notifications are easy to get rid of. Sure is easier to post photos. What I find is kind of amusing and actually good for me is that the trader forum is harder to venture onto. Being placed down the page helps me forget about it and not get tempted to buy stuff.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm not used to it as well and has given me grief on occasion, but I too am not as frequent yet. PAX

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
a icon is still there, it's now just a small blue eye (thread watched ) under the topic title and to the right of the last author of the post who respond to the thread

you can see it by finding the title of this thread, "NEW LAYOUT SUCKS"

I do not see it?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, but you can still use the "New" button up on the menu bar to the right of the search box to sort the newest posts since you last checked in. It still seems to work about as well as that same function did on the old software.
No, before you could see a list of sub forums and you could see the last thread listed in that sub and when.
For instance, say the Modern Handgun sub, it would show you: New Beretta 92, last post by Whiny McWhiny Ratman

I don’t want to wade through a shitpile of new posts about Carcanos and someone’s new refurb Mosin.
View attachment 3751214
This platform is turning into a venue for sad sacks to whine. Recent whiny topics:
  • This forum sucks because it does not look like a forum from 1998
  • I don’t want to make any effort to learn how to use this new format that I do not pay to use or maintain and I just usually come here to whine and complain anyway
  • The current market rate for ammunition is too high and I am sad/angry about this
  • There is no ammunition available (when there really is but it is expensive)
  • I have lost interest in collecting and I don’t know why but I’ll mention the cost of guns and ammunition repeatedly in my post
  • Someone did something to a firearm they own and I am sad/angry about the thing they did to something they own
Anybody got any non whiny news? I grabbed a neat Makarov last week, a commercial Arsenal pistol with d.i.g Virginia Beach, Va on the slide.
**** You.
**** You too.
rat,

I use Chrome with an adblocker, no popups, and on the work computer, chrome with no adblocker, and no popups but do get ads,

the round balloon up top on the right that says NEW , will get you to the new comments,

as far as the suckiness, I guess I have just gotten used to it,
I have a pop up blocker, I still get a stupid pop up about push notifications.
I use an IPhone, have been using one for many years, never had a major problem.
I agree with you 100%

Also I would like to term limits for moderators. Because some of them are douche bags!
Agreed, and the one who just called me a whiner can go **** themself, a moderator shouldn’t be a fucking *****.
He can ban me, I don’t need to be insulted by a fucking mod who is picking and trolling me like a fucking child.

I was venting my displeasure at the new look and offering my reasons why in the hopes that the site developer might address them since I wasn’t answered in the “we're live” thread, instead I’m fucking insulted by a mod.
Well **** him.

Thanks to everyone who offered a legitimate response to the issues I was having.

But screw it, I’m not being insulted by a ***** with a ban hammer.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Wanting your cake and eating it too is admirable, Ratman. Nice work if you can get it!
If you could put yourself in their shoes and give the admins time to figure out the buttons we might see some of the original and beloved features return.

Hammering on the Mods won't likely help.

I miss the old format too. The only other forum I frequent has the old VBulletin format.
When I joined here I was instantly at home as I already knew how to navigate.

To me, changes don't always make sense until they do. Reasons are often beyond me.
I dig easy and familiar. Hate wasting time relearning what I knew. Still, here we are.
Changing.

So that streaking streak and dancing bars should go. Gives me a headache!
First things first!
Takes time. Let's sound off respectfully and see some changes as we go?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Go back to the old system. I agree this new one is very difficult to manuever. Wy change when it worked good before.
The FAL Files redid theirs and it stinks too.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Ratman, next time just throw a bunch of middle finger emojis:
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Don't take it so hard, you just gotta fu¢k with your preferences. There's a lot of them. It'll take time, but it's all good!
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I do not see it?
then you either don't know what a blue eye icon is or you need glasses :)

in any event there is another way to see all the threads you posted on and that is through your avatar, that is in the upper right corner of the page.

if you hover over your avatar with the cursor, is says; ACCOUNT DETAILS. now click on your avatar, when the dialog box pops up you will see a list, click on the word that says FOLLOWING, it's the second one from the top.......that will show you all the threads you posted on

you're welcome :). a bill will be PM'd to you by me for technical support.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
So that streaking streak and dancing bars should go. Gives me a headache!
First things first!

I agree, that NEEDS TO GO! it's annoying as fk!

But something tells me that many suggestions are just going to fall on deaf ears.

I want to see 2yr term limits for moderators. New mods to be voted in by GB members.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts