Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just got back from visiting my brother and sister in Colorado and I came home to find some great presents from my mother. She had gone to a German antique and garden show near St. Louis and she had found some WW2 era stuff. Among them were a V-J Day pin, two images of Russo-Japanese War era Japanese soldiers for an old viewmaster and this knife. It is marked " U.S. M3 - Utica" and the scabbard is marked "U.S. M8 B M Co." She didn't spend a fortune at that show with paying $1 a piece for the two images, $5 for the V-J Day pin, and $75 for this knife. The blade has been sharpened but not recently and it has what appears to be genuine wear on the blade and the scabbard. I will try and get some pictures up later but what would you all think of this knife. Did my mother overpay or buy a repro? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knife Dagger Bowie knife Hunting knife Blade
Dagger Knife
Finger Hand Skin Thumb Nail

Here are some of the pictures I have. I might have to take more if you guys need them. Also mine doesn't have a date stamped onto the blade. Is that common with repros? Also mine doesn't have a blued blade. It is just a bare metallic silver with surface rust in places. Sorry about the poor quality in some of the pictures. My camera sucks at taking detailed pictures so I'm thinking about reinvesting in a better camera in the future.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,359 Posts
Hey blu1989 - from the first pic it looks legit. Most repos will have generic markings. I've never come across a repro with a Utica marking on it (although that doesn't mean they may not exist). Unfortunately I cannot tell much more from the blurry pics. Generally speaking there are 3 types of war time markings for these M3s. Blade marked with year, blade marked without year and guard marked. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this as there were ~8-10 markers (I forgot exactly how many) and they may not have all followed this pattern. Utica, Case, Camillus and Imperial are all pretty common. And with these more common examples the value is largely determined by the quality. The orginal finish was parkerized but its pretty common to see this worn off. I cannot tell from the pics if the leather "washers" are damaged and to what extent the blade has been sharpened. The tip of the blade may have been altered but I just can't tell by the pics. Here is my Utica blade marked for reference. As you can see mine is in OK shape but that doesn't bother me as I like to think of it as actually used in the field. Common examples of M3s generally range in value from $50 to $200 depending on condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cosmic mine has the exact same markings yours has on the blade. It might have some other marks somewhere but the surface rust could be hiding them. Also in regards to the sharpening it appears to have been done within the past decade or so (my guess since the area of the sharpening is pretty obvious but the blade is dull). It also looks like my blade still has its partial reverse edge so I'm not sure if it had been altered any further than the sharpening.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Age of leather handle makes it an old one but the sharpening of it is big minus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate that sharpening too BigBoy99. However it does tell a story of how it was still used after WW2. It ranks up there with my dad's ka-bar which I still use in the field today even after it was used in the jungles of Vietnam in the 60's. To me that kind of adds to the flavor of it (so to speak) but as a collector it bums me out that it was sharpened in my lifetime. The good news is that the sharpening is the only recent modification done to this knife. Everything else still has 70+ years of surface rust and wear left on it including the scabbard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.