Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
>RD - Rheinmetall Düsseldorf, as per Graf. Seen on Steyr examples, (bnz41, 660.)
Spitz was lurking. Thanks. (insert smiley face)

Looks like HB et. al. nailed it at a glance. (again)
So it’s the s/n 6 on the barrel that looks to be probably added ‘post war’?
Probably a nice Steyr 623 bbl and an Oberndorf bolt by the looks of the Waffs.
‘65’ (bolt) Waff is probably actually 63 Obie. 655 is Obie.
Aware that Oberndorf supplied some parts to other makers, can’t remember if they came with or without Obie Waffs??

'358' on receiver is probably actually 359 (Sauer)
37 is Sauer
Well, at least it wasn’t sold with claims to be ‘all matching’.

BTW,
3371940 gave this example of a Steyr barrel on a Sauer rifle, but if you look close, the s/n fonts don’t match on his example. FWIW.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=80381564

· Registered
2,352 Posts
"Radom didn't make 98 barrels, I'm sure you're right. But they did seem to go overboard with heiroglyphic-like marks on what they did produce. Maybe this was some sort of Polish thing?"

Yes, on the undersiide of bolt handles and bottom of receivers from Radom - marked E77 - you will find a wide variety of odd marks. Won't find them on anything else that I remember. This practice gradually decreased as the war progresed, but didn't stop.

"I understood that Styer 623/77 marked rifles got the 77 marked parts from Radom, a location in Poland. Mightn't this 623 barrel come from other Polish mfg. source?"

NO. 623 was Steyr in Austria. Steyr was given oversight controll of Radom in late 39 and supervised everything that went on there. That is why Radom shipped 98k parts to Steyr for assembly - going to the parent company so to speak.

Yes Mauser - byf/135 - supplied parts to other mfrgs, including Steyr/bnz and yes they had one 135 proof on them. Some also had byf on them. Anything with 2 135 proofs - like trigger guards or floor plates were items that were assembled at Oberndorff.
The 358 is definately 359, but is Walther - NOT Sauer! Walther supplied a variety of parts to many of the mfgrs/assemblers of K98k rifles - All of the rear sight assembly(6 parts), Receivers and other parts. All were E359 proofed.
The bnz bbl on a ce rifle example with non matching fonts is probably a rebarrel at some depot or field repair point so the numbers would not match.

Again - ALL of the rifle/parts makers sent parts into the repair/replacement pools for future use so it is possible to find any mfg part on any other makers rifles. In the case of bbls you can easily find a 1937 bbl on a 1941 rifle.
Sarge

· Registered
185 Posts
Radom Heiroglyph Marks

Sarge, for comparasion sake, as soon as I get the pictures formatted, I'll start a post and show you all the odd little marks on various parts of the 1934 wz.29 I picked up last weekend. I recognized on of them from the underside of a 77 marked bolt I got on a 98k mismatch.

· Registered
185 Posts
Radom Marks

Sarge, for comparison sake (as soon as I get the pictures formatted which should take a couple of days) I'll start a new post and show you all the odd little marks on various parts of the Radom 1934 wz.29 I picked up last weekend. I recognized one of them from the underside of a 77 marked bolt I got on a 98k mismatch. It's amazing how many they used and on parts from the receiver to ejector, probably half the major parts has something on it.

· Registered
218 Posts
All of the rear sight assembly(6 parts), Receivers and other parts. All were E359 proofed.
I asked about rear sight parts because I didn’t SEE any rear sight pics/numbers. Must be in those RED X boxes that refused to come up on my puter? :(
(I tried ‘show picture’ or whatever, and nothing happened.) Strange, the same 3 or 4 RED X boxes show up each time I look at this thread? The other pics come up just fine? Oh well.

:D:D:D been away too long. Just figured out why I couldn't use Smilies:)
wonder if that will fix the RED X boxes too?

· Registered
2,352 Posts
I would expect to find many, if not most of the same marks on Radom parts durring the German occupation that were on the pre war guns. Don't think they marked quite as many parts though? The only thing that changed for them would have been the final proofing process under the Germans.

Yep, I get that Red X box krap every once in a while - really irritating!!!
Sarge

· Registered
285 Posts
since I bought a "re-touched" k98 I was wondering if there was a way to make the buffed metal buttplate look more like it should (60 yrs old).

Any of you ever done this?:rolleyes:

Thanks!
Wash the buttplate with soap and water then rub moist soil on it and leave it out on your porch or something away from sunlight then watch it get a nice coat of rust....then sand off the rust then repeat...put oil on it later...

If it has the Russian blueing on it you have to sandpaper it off first then do the above steps....

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.