Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
674 Posts
I don't know anything about the Swed 96 Mauser, but would question it being worth $350 unless in Mint condition??? I do not think trading for that one would be a good deal. The rifle you have should be an excellent shooter so keep it and enjoy it. Having been assembled with parts from 3 or 4 different rifles doesn't hurt it's shootability.
Sarge
I would trade for it IF and only If the Swede has all matching numbers, the stock disk is intact and unmolested, the stock is original and in decent shape, and the bore is nice, shiny, and tight. Most of the Swedes I have seen in pawn shops and gun stores have either the stock disk missing or bubba got to the stock. I lucked out and got one in excellent shape for $185 at a local flea market. As far as shooters go, my experience with the Swedes I have shot as well as my own, is that they are by far, the most accurate Mauser rifles EVER built. Most of the guys around here who target shoot with Milsurp rifles either use M96 or M38 Swede Mausers or the K-31 Schmidt Rubin.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
tumtatty,dont feel alone, years ago (pregunboard era) i to was taken in by a guy who sold me a very nice looking k98,for years i was very happy with it thinking i had an all matching primo example till i found gunboards and posted pics...needless to say i wasnt happy with what i found out but then i did have a nice shooter with an excellent bore,i still have it but it left a very bad tatse in my mouth and to this day i havent bought another 98k for fear of being burned again,recently ive decided to try my hand at this again but ive done alot of research and will be much more careful..look on the bright side you do have one very nice condition shooter,just like me

· Registered
2,352 Posts
They should have said front sight blade and no it will Not have any effect on accuracy.
Well, for sure it isn't a German rebarrel - at least that is nothing like any such mark I've ever seen identified. Which means no telling who, when or where the bbl was changed.
Thats the bbl end of the rec, not the trigger end.
Sarge

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Bill
Read my post again - I didn't say it wasn't a German bbl, rather "Well, for sure it isn't a German rebarrel" that it was not a rebarrel job done by the Germans. Big difference!
Sarge

· Registered
632 Posts

Hey, it looks like a good rifle to me. It may not be "real" as far as rebuilt, but at least you didn't really over pay for that- even RC's are close to that. I would have probably been fooled, and heck the guy you got it from was too. It looks like a nice gun, go shoot it! If you really had bought an all matching original, you might be afraid to shoot it, really, lest something break, and you instantly have a non-matching gun. Now you have one that looks great, and should shoot well. The front sight blade shouldn't affect anything, but the Norwegians did rebarrel their guns for .30-06, if I'm remembering correctly- so you'll have to do some testing (more shooting, darn!! ;-) ) to see if it's actually on target.

Go have some fun with it! :) It's very possible it was rebarreled after the war, probably because the original barrel was ruined, but would you rather have a matching barrel that was junk??? I've got one gun like that, (a mauser contract chinese 98) I went ahead and had a new barrel put on.

· Registered
632 Posts

Oh- all my German guns are SN# on both the barrel and the reciever. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I thought all of them were, every maker I've got, from the Imperial, Weimar, and Nazi era, all marked both the reciever and the barrel with the SN#. Even removable barrels for Machine guns were serial #'d, (all I've got are, but for armorer replacement ones) and I don't think I've seen a barrel on a german gun that wasn't serialed, not necessarly matching. I don't have a "CE" marked gun, I don't think, so perhaps that maker did do something different, but that would seem....unGerman? ;-D

· Registered
218 Posts
Replacement barrel?
Did you notice in his third post Tim says:
“receiver just as the barrel comes into it there is some numbering that reads 7'91”

You guys all know more, but I’ve never seen original bore (7,91 etc.) and the replacement 0,2 mark on the same rifle?
I thought it was either 7,9 etc. or 0,2 , Not both (or else no bore size mark at all on later rifles.)

Tim, look closer, that is probably 7,91, not 7’91 (stamp is actually on barrel shank, not receiver)
?
FYI, that is original bore measurement at time of ‘birth’. (You’ll see 7,9 or 7,90 or 7,91 etc.)
Question I’ve never seen answered is, was it stamped by barrel maker, or was it stamped as rifle was assembled and inspected? (my guess would be it was done at final assembly point?)

Also agree, that best I recall, any ’41 rifle would have S/N on barrel and receiver both. Barrel only, or receiver only S/N’s stamp came into use later on.
Also FYI, it is not uncommon to see a ’40 dated barrel on a ’41 rifle. Barrel production often preceded rifle assembly by a year. Front sight has sight hood groove appropriate for early ’41 rifle.
FWIW, T

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Beginning in 1943 the Germans quit numbering both the bbl & rec. Some numbered only the bbl and some only the rec. There was no set pattern and it seems like one of the czech factories - dot or dou - continued to number both.

Bill
Figured something like that. Hey if we didn't all screw up occasionaly it would be dull & boring!! :D
Sarge

· Registered
218 Posts
Tim,
Please take a close look at the rear sight parts, and the sight base. (The rear sight base is actually a tube deal, that is soldered onto the barrel.) (No need to remove that screw.)

Would help people here to know:
Is there any s/n on the under side of the sight leaf, and/or also on the ‘ramp’ thing that the sight leaf lays on? (You need to flip up the leaf to see it.)
(May not be a good indicator because the rear sight leafs were replaced quite often.)
Also, are there any Waffen stamps 37 or etc, on those parts? (Good chance there will be a couple of those stamps on the tube section? Probably on right side?)

Also, is there a small Waff # on the front sight base, maybe the front side?

BTW, did you check the firing pin for any stamps, s/n, etc.?

Solman, we discussed RD bbl maker here a few months ago.
I had
128 40RD barrel maker code on a bnz ‘41
with (3) vertical Waff 623’s on barrel (in similar manor as Tim’s).
(Barrel and receiver S/N fonts matched. The barrel had NOT been replaced!)

Spitz had a barrel maker list going at the time.
Maker ‘RD’ was named ‘Unknown’. IIRC, it appeared on rifles from multiple factories?

· Registered
185 Posts
I don't know that this adds anything to the discussion but another idea that may have already been discounted but just yesterday I got a 1934 Radom rifle which has one of those odd marks on it. I'm sorry I don't remember which part it was on but it was so ugly it stuck in my mind. they had a variety of strange marks some of which are very clever and obvious to distinguish from one another, I didn't even know what class to put that mark in, it's not a letter, number or pictoglyph. Maybe the barrel came from Poland?

· Registered
185 Posts
Correction: The Radom doesn't have exactly that mark on it, though it does have a variety of other odd marks. I still wouldn't be surprised given the WaA623 if there was a Polish connection to the barrel.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Radom never made K98k barrels durring German occupation/control.
Sarge

· Registered
185 Posts
Radom didn't make 98 barrels, I'm sure you're right. But they did seem to go overboard with heiroglyphic-like marks on what they did produce. Maybe this was some sort of Polish thing?

I understood that Styer 623/77 marked rifles got the 77 marked parts from Radom, a location in Poland. Mightn't this 623 barrel come from other Polish mfg. source?

· Registered
191 Posts
Graf the industrial font of knowledge

Spitz had a barrel maker list going at the time.
Maker ‘RD’ was named ‘Unknown’. IIRC, it appeared on rifles from multiple factories?
>RD - Rheinmetall Düsseldorf, as per Graf. Seen on Steyr examples, (bnz41, 660.)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.