Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Nice Gun but?

I think it is a nice looking gun that represents a nice restoration to make it look new. The question I would ask is "Did the gun shop try to pass it off as an all matching gun". I have only been collecting K98s for a year now. Fascinating subject. It is quite addictive. You will find a lot of really nasty, ugly and down right scary guns out there. Trust me I have three pieces of junk sitting my kitchen now. They looked great in the pictures but junk in real life. Lesson learned about big auction houses that will not answer questions. Out of the three only one is worth restoring. The others will just be parts for trade or sale. Welcome to the hobby.

· Registered
5,117 Posts
gents. look at the shot of the recever where the cross bolt 'stud' goes. i have never seen a waffen there before. see the waffen 37. that one looks legit. wierd.
but its such a 'stew' now no telling who did what. but it sure looks like a sauer rework of somthing on the recever or the front mouting stud.
any comments on that specific item? im curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
285 Posts
Sigh...This was not the intro to K98 collecting that I was hoping for.:eek:

Is this gun worth keeping? The local gunshop owner told me that he got these from an estate sale. He bought 30+ k98's.He made no claims about the guns at all. I think we all assumed they were genuine. There were 3 more in the shop after I bought 2.

The others were clear mismatches and had import marks. The two I got look by far the best. Should I try to return this one for a more "genuine" model?

Thanks again for your input.
Nah. Just take it to the rifle range and blast away with it. It's a shooter anyways. You'll turn heads with it.

· Moderator / Diamond member
3,795 Posts
How does one obtain a copy of Bob's cd? that sounds like something I'd like to have.
www.bobinohio.com is the address- it's worth the money. He keeps adding more and more guns to the cd, so it gets better every day! It's worth every penny too, and better than a book in some respects as the photos are crystal clear and numerous.

· Registered
370 Posts
gents. look at the shot of the recever where the cross bolt 'stud' goes. i have never seen a waffen there before. see the waffen 37. that one looks legit. wierd.
but its such a 'stew' now no telling who did what. but it sure looks like a sauer rework of somthing on the recever or the front mouting stud.
any comments on that specific item? im curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Solman:

Sauer put the proof down there. Very common. Expected really.

BTW, the 623 proofed RD barrels show up on many different makers, not just Steyr. I have seen it on Sauers and Gustloff's for sure. It might be a rebarrel but I didn't see the 0.2 marking.

I agree, I don't like the numbering on the band and bolt for sure.

Lastly, the front sight blade is Norwegian.

· Banned
9,188 Posts
Solman:

Sauer put the proof down there. Very common. Expected really.

BTW, the 623 proofed RD barrels show up on many different makers, not just Steyr. I have seen it on Sauers and Gustloff's for sure. It might be a rebarrel but I didn't see the 0.2 marking.

I agree, I don't like the numbering on the band and bolt for sure.

Lastly, the front sight blade is Norwegian.
K98ks that are rebarrelled postwar or by boinkers won't have the 0.2 mark. Suffice it to say that with other replaced and boinked parts I wouldn't dismiss the barrel as not being boinked and added either, particularly with a Norwegian sight blade. Some of those barrel inspections indicate the factory that assembled the weapon, not which ones made the barrel. People think the lack of an import mark means it's a non-import. On older imports an import is a barrel replacement away or a couple hits with a dremel tool or file away from being a "non-import".

· Registered
2,987 Posts
I tend to think the barrel isn't "original", - not Sauer assembled.. S&S was as much as anything a barrel maker, most often they made their own barrels especially this early.. also the f/p & lack of serial is not right on the barrel for a Sauer product of this period (doesn't get earlier in 1941?)
I am of the opinion the rifle is not original in any sense of the word, barrel, bolt, bits or else; whether worth $300+ certainly not to me, though a great many place little value on "original"?

Hence rc collecting?

K98ks that are rebarrelled postwar or by boinkers won't have the 0.2 mark. Suffice it to say that with other replaced and boinked parts I wouldn't dismiss the barrel as not being boinked and added either, particularly with a Norwegian sight blade. Some of those barrel inspections indicate the factory that assembled the weapon, not which ones made the barrel. People think the lack of an import mark means it's a non-import. On older imports an import is a barrel replacement away or a couple hits with a dremel tool or file away from being a "non-import".

· Registered
2,987 Posts
I should have said not "1941 Sauer assembled" original, certain aspects of the barrel do make it a possibility it is a replacement barrel, but one would like to see the rearsight for this determination,- biggest problem is the balance of the rifle is not here to "support" any rework foundation?

Do pictures of EVERY marking on the barrel & rear sight? This "might" help date the assembly of this early barrel.

I tend to think the barrel isn't "original", - not Sauer assembled.. S&S was as much as anything a barrel maker, most often they made their own barrels especially this early.. also the f/p & lack of serial is not right on the barrel for a Sauer product of this period (doesn't get earlier in 1941?)
I am of the opinion the rifle is not original in any sense of the word, barrel, bolt, bits or else; whether worth $300+ certainly not to me, though a great many place little value on "original"?

Hence rc collecting?

· Registered
370 Posts
Hambone:

I think that post war re-barreling dine by bubba-barrel-werkes will have an 0.3 or at least a 0.4 mark, Right? ;-)

Two notes

1) I have seen the Wa623 barrel on others rifles including Sauer. Here is a link to a recent auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80381564

That is just one of several examples “viewed” on the forums and/or auctions over the past few years.

Again, there is too much doubt about the subject rifle in this post to place any value on it though.

2) As you indicate early post-war import German firearms might not be marked at all and will look, feel and even smell like a "bring back" piece. At some point the "Germany" marking was added, typically on the trigger guard.

Here is a CE 41, "ce" block with such a marking. Bolt MM piece that is gorgeous:

· Registered
370 Posts
I should have said not "1941 Sauer assembled" original, certain aspects of the barrel do make it a possibility it is a replacement barrel, but one would like to see the rearsight for this determination,- biggest problem is the balance of the rifle is not here to "support" any rework foundation?

Do pictures of EVERY marking on the barrel & rear sight? This "might" help date the assembly of this early barrel.
I second that. All in favor?

· Registered
2,352 Posts
On bbl markings - not sure what the 36 is - steel lot nr?, 40 is year of mfgr & RD is bbl makers code. When you disassemble your rifle see if there is an 0.2 on the bbl collar - part that is above the bbl and buts up against the rec.

Steyr, like most of the 98k mfgrs & many sub contraktors sent all manner of parts to Depots for use in rebuilding worn/dammaged rifles so finding a 623 proofed bbl on ANY 98k code is not an improbility. IF a legit WW 2 rebbl there should be the 0.2 mark on the collar. That would account for the different looking 6 on the bbl., But not on any other part.

On 41 dated rifles both the bbl AND receiver should have the ser nr on them - from ALL the different mfgrs. This was not discontinued till 43.

I don't know anything about the Swed 96 Mauser, but would question it being worth $350 unless in Mint condition??? I do not think trading for that one would be a good deal. The rifle you have should be an excellent shooter so keep it and enjoy it. Having been assembled with parts from 3 or 4 different rifles doesn't hurt it's shootability.
Sarge

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.