Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
2,873 Posts
Tim,

You should ask some of the more experienced members like Hambone & The Great Billdildoe about this rifle. I am told they are quite serious about 98k rifles.
You should ask them to comment on the originality of the bluing on the rifle, and the numbering as well as if the stock is original to the rifle. Their answers just might prove interesting to you.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
  • Are you saying that the "6"s are fakes? (or that some of them are fakes)
    Looks like just some...bolt for sure....maybe barrel band.
  • How can I tell the difference between a ground bolt and an original?
    Experience is the best way. Sorry no easy answer for this one. Suggest you purchase one of Bob In Ohio's CD's (He's a member here)....lots of GREAT pictures of known correct examples....study the pics & data.
  • If this is a "faker" is that a common thing I'll be running across?
  • Sadly yes it is. This may have been done to decieve, or just done to pretty up a rifle....or as an attempt at restoration....hard to say what the person's motivation was at this point. Best defence for this is to study known good examples....again Bob's CD is helpful.
  • The stock should have the same # as the receiver if it's a complete original correct?
    Yes
  • Does the fact that there are no import marks mean anything for its value?
  • No....at this point the import marks may have been buffed off during the reblue process...hard to tell now. Basically as a reblued rifle it will not matter much if it has Imp marks or not as the reblue will be a bigger factor beyond the Imp markings question.
  • Does the value of this type of gun go up or is it merely a shooter?
    It will go up, but MUCH slower than an un "restored/reblued" rifle
  • What book would you recommend I get to start my formal K98 schooling?
  • First start is "Backbone of the Wermacht" by Law....it has some flaws in the data it contains, but is a good jumping off spot. It will get you the basics, and as you learn, hang out here, and gather your own observations you will be able to pick up on the flaws it has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.