Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Metal is reblued so that's easy. Bolt renumbered. I think the barrel and receiver are mismatches and a rebarrel was done at some point and THEN renumbered to match. Stock to me looks like it was lightly sanded. So to sum up I also think it was an attempted "restoration."

· Registered
285 Posts
Sigh...This was not the intro to K98 collecting that I was hoping for.:eek:

Is this gun worth keeping? The local gunshop owner told me that he got these from an estate sale. He bought 30+ k98's.He made no claims about the guns at all. I think we all assumed they were genuine. There were 3 more in the shop after I bought 2.

The others were clear mismatches and had import marks. The two I got look by far the best. Should I try to return this one for a more "genuine" model?

Thanks again for your input.
Nah. Just take it to the rifle range and blast away with it. It's a shooter anyways. You'll turn heads with it.

· Registered
285 Posts
since I bought a "re-touched" k98 I was wondering if there was a way to make the buffed metal buttplate look more like it should (60 yrs old).

Any of you ever done this?:rolleyes:

Thanks!
Wash the buttplate with soap and water then rub moist soil on it and leave it out on your porch or something away from sunlight then watch it get a nice coat of rust....then sand off the rust then repeat...put oil on it later...

If it has the Russian blueing on it you have to sandpaper it off first then do the above steps....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.