Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
9,188 Posts
hello,
It's a horizontal script ce 41 (JP Sauer) with a renumbered bolt. At that price you didn't get hurt, particularly if it's a mm bolt only that someone jacked the bolt on. If nothing else is boinkered on it, and the bolt is mm only, it's worth twice that.
Regards,
HB

· Banned
9,188 Posts
Bill and the fellows here pretty much nailed it. The bolt is renumbered and for a Mauser, not Sauer. The barrel is for a Steyr. The lower band is ground and renumbered, the bolt is renumbered, the stock is mismatched. It may have had import marks. Anyone going to the "trouble" to do this could have zapped the import mark on the barrel with a Dremel and blued it over. After all the new pics, it's about maxed out at $325.

IDing renumbered parts, even from pics like this is not difficult when the work is mediocre. After examining many original rifles one simply knows what the various parts and fonts and finish should look like. You know something is wrong before you can articulate it. This is someone's project RC I would bet. Thanks for taking the time to post pics.
Regards,
HB

· Banned
9,188 Posts
Solman:

Sauer put the proof down there. Very common. Expected really.

BTW, the 623 proofed RD barrels show up on many different makers, not just Steyr. I have seen it on Sauers and Gustloff's for sure. It might be a rebarrel but I didn't see the 0.2 marking.

I agree, I don't like the numbering on the band and bolt for sure.

Lastly, the front sight blade is Norwegian.
K98ks that are rebarrelled postwar or by boinkers won't have the 0.2 mark. Suffice it to say that with other replaced and boinked parts I wouldn't dismiss the barrel as not being boinked and added either, particularly with a Norwegian sight blade. Some of those barrel inspections indicate the factory that assembled the weapon, not which ones made the barrel. People think the lack of an import mark means it's a non-import. On older imports an import is a barrel replacement away or a couple hits with a dremel tool or file away from being a "non-import".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.