1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
12,070 Posts
Beautiful example! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I suspect the second serial number is the actual barrel's serial number, the last three numbers of the action/rifle added (above the stock line) when barrel and receiver they are mated together.
Nice figure in that stock. I like the red highlights.
I currently have a walnut stocked K31 on hold with Simpson's.
It will be my 5th Swiss. (1889, 96/11, k11, k31 beechwood w/diopter, K31 walnut)

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
Nice rifle.

If you HAVE to have an import mark, I guess I could live with that one.

I recently upgraded my Century Billboard-marked beech-stocked 1951 production K31 for a NO-mark 1941 production K31, in very nice, undiscolored, walnut with a troop tag. The magazine doesn't match on the new one, but I guess you can't have everything.

I will have to get my K31 out to see what story the barrel number tells on my rifle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I guess that makes sense about the barrel S/N before being matched to the rifle. I haven't heard of that before, though. Most of my other rifles are not of the same craftsmanship as this (Mosin Nagants, Save Enfield No4 Mk1*, S-M M95) and so I wasn't sure if this rifle had gone through a refurb or not.

I mailed a letter to Hans from the troop tag. Guisan (i think that is his name) from swissrifles.com message boards looked him up and provided me a link to a white page link for him. I hope to hear from him. It would be really cool to get some more info on him. From what I gathered, he was part of a mobile, light anti-aircraft battery.

The next rifle I purchase will probably be a G11 or K11. I have been bitten by the Swiss bug...though I'm still feeling the effects of the Mosin, Mauser, and Enfield bugs, too. Man, I wish I had a money tree.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read and watched videos on using an iron and a wet cloth to remove dents and dings from the wood. Does that ruin the finish on the stock? I would like to maybe try to remove some of the dents and dings, but I don't want to ruin the color or finish.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The barrel serial number is a guess on my part. Guisan & other more knowledgeable folks can confirm.

I would leave it alone, the small dings are not worth the effort, and it is pretty as-is.:grin:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Guisan it is and I know and understand that you are enthusiastic about your K31 but you should do some reading first before you ask all the questions you did as all of these have been answered at our forum a couple of times before during the past 12 years, a search will bring them up.

You do make nice and many detailed pictures, just don't forget that most "Swiss fever sufferers" have seen these plenty of times so try to cool down a bit and start reading before you ask questions...

·
Gold Bullet member
12,070 Posts
I've read and watched videos on using an iron and a wet cloth to remove dents and dings from the wood. Does that ruin the finish on the stock? I would like to maybe try to remove some of the dents and dings, but I don't want to ruin the color or finish.
Yes!!!! The dent steaming nonsense will ruin your stock. You have a beautiful rifle. You cannot make it better. You can make it worse by paying attention to the You Tube goons or you can preserve its existing (and more than acceptable) condition.

I hope you preserve your rifle as it is. I would be proud to own it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes!!!! The dent steaming nonsense will ruin your stock. You have a beautiful rifle. You cannot make it better. You can make it worse by paying attention to the You Tube goons or you can preserve its existing (and more than acceptable) condition.

I hope you preserve your rifle as it is. I would be proud to own it.

Thanks, man! I think it's a beautiful redhead already. A couple less dents would have been ideal, but like Mater says in Cars 2, each dent is a memory. I don't want to ruin this rifle, so I will not touch it.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
+1 to what Richard said. From what I recall of the pictures that you since pulled down, the wood on that rifle was in very nice condition, with only a relative few 'personality marks', and a slight amount of butt discoloration, which is pretty much expected.

If you don't have the books or access to the information, I don't see any problem asking here about such details as you asked about. It is how we all learn things. Please don't let a couple of grumpy responses intimidate you.

In my callow youth, I steamed the dings out of a few rifles. The ones that stick out in my memory most are a couple of No.1 Mk.III's, a really nice before I got to it French svwMB K98k, and a low-numbered Winchester M1917 which missed the First big go-around but made it all the way to England during the Second one. Because I didn't know its significance at the time, I also removed the red paint stripe around the forend on that M1917.

I have had ample occasion to regret my decisions to do what I did to those rifles almost from the day I did it. I learned, just not soon enough to save those rifles. At least you got the word before you did something irreversible.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I overreacted a bit when I took down all my pictures, but then again, I don't want to bore the SMEs on this board with pictures of stampings that they already know about. I looked up the markings using the stickies on Swissrifles.com and asked about the markings I didn't find anything about.

I can handle folks being rough if I post pictures of a rifle or something that has been bubba'd, but that particular response bugged the crap outta me...especially when it was from an expert, that if he didn't want to look or help, could have moved on.

All of the other rifles I own have markings that tell a story, and folks on the message boards usually like to see them, to see if something interesting pops up. Apparently the Swiss rifles aren't like that. If you've seen one marking, you've seen them all.

Outside of a couple of you guys, I have found the Swiss message boards pretty unwelcoming to new folks who are excited about their new acquisition.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was aiming for the center of the target, but I have never been accused of being consistent or having a steady hand. It was also kind of hard to see the small green circle...the sight blade almost covered it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Simplify your target.
Suggest you use a 3 inch diameter, bright orange point of aim at 100 yards.
Put the "pumpkin" on top of the front sight post.
Use a solid rest under the front stock and a squeeze bag under the toe of the butt stock.
Pay attention to your breathing and remember the K31 has a two stage trigger.
Your groups will tighten.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
i got the same kick in the throat as you when posting on here from some. so to keep from getting p---- at being someones punching bag, i got the Joe Poyer book on swiss rifles. "for collectors only" swiss magazine loading rifles 1869 to 1958, 2nd edition. saved me a lot of headache. if i start reading one that is just to show me my place i stop reading and don't reply. other people here that don't mind telling for the 100th time about these rifles. plus i'm glad you had a good experience with simpson,ltd because i sure didn't won't go into it because it won't do any good. lets just say i'm gun shy about purchasing from them now. anyway i have 8 swiss rifles now, m1896/11's, IG1911's, K11's, K31's and like the rifles over the carbines myself. i think the rifles being older have a much richer history. just wish i had half deep pockets so i could buy more. have fun with your new swiss.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts