Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me 9.3x57 Husqvarna. Tha barrel is stamped "Husqvarna Vapenfabriks A. B. 9.3 Kal". It is a model 96 type action, serial # 89xx. It was described as a "Husqvarna Sporter" by Tradex Canada, whom I bought it from. I'm wondering if this is a Husqvarna model 46 or something different.

Where can I find info to help me identify the model and manufacturing date? The rifle is currently disassembled to clean and bed the recoil lug, so no pics for the time being.

The metal is in very nice shape, and the bore is excellent. Stock is cleaning up well and has nice figure. I'm really looking forward to getting some loads together and trying her out. I am so impressed with it that I've ordered another Husky 98 8x57 from Tradex that should be arriving early next week.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcom to the forum jethunter,

You have an early production Model 46 manufactured in 1935. There is plenty of information on 9.3x57 hand loading here on the forum. Have fun and hunt safe.:)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Jethunter,
As far as reliable information on Husqvarna firearms, this is the website. You won't find better information anywhere else. Pettson one of our moderators has a great website, unfortunately it is down at the moment. The info on your rifle came from the Swedish book "Husqvarna Jaktvapen" which is the official history book of Husqvarna firearms. I think Allan's Armory, one of the board sponsors still has some copies. It is in Swedish.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Experts on Husqvarna's are rare enough to fit in a Model 46's magazine. You just got information from one of that handful! ;) Fortunately for us hobbyists, most of the others also participate in this forum - Gentlemen actually doing scholarly research. If you have a question the experts here can't answer, well, do an internet search and you'll find people quoting kriggevaer, Pettson, Dutchman,.... Nowhere else to go. (Gentleman, no slight intended to anyone I failed to mention.)
D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well my goodness!:D Thanks for the kind words Ordtech, but really I'm just a novice at Husqvarnas - there are some real masters here though. SBHVA has a depth and breadth of knowledge that is awesome. Pettson does too! I just stand in their shadow. Now if you want to talk Schultz & Larsen firearms I know a little bit about them.;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Experts on Husqvarna's are rare enough to fit in a Model 46's magazine. You just got information from one of that handful! ;) Fortunately for us hobbyists, most of the others also participate in this forum - Gentlemen actually doing scholarly research. If you have a question the experts here can't answer, well, do an internet search and you'll find people quoting kriggevaer, Pettson, Dutchman,.... Nowhere else to go. (Gentleman, no slight intended to anyone I failed to mention.)
D
My thanks to all. I have many more questions but will try and space them out so as not to overdo anyone's good will.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
No, no, no - bring on all your questions.:D New HVA collectors are always welcome. That is what the forum is for - I have learned so much in the few years I've been participating here. And, this is one of the friendliest forums around. Unfortunately, there aren't any English language books on the HVA rifles - perhaps someday the master collectors here (you know who you are) will get together and write one (hint, hint) - You now have a bolt action HVA, now you need to add a HVA rolling block, single shot bolt gun, pistol, revolver, and a couple of shotguns. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no, no - bring on all your questions.:D New HVA collectors are always welcome. That is what the forum is for - I have learned so much in the few years I've been participating here. And, this is one of the friendliest forums around. Unfortunately, there aren't any English language books on the HVA rifles - perhaps someday the master collectors here (you know who you are) will get together and write one (hint, hint) - You now have a bolt action HVA, now you need to add a HVA rolling block, single shot bolt gun, pistol, revolver, and a couple of shotguns. :D
Actually my 2nd HVA rifle is already on the way - a model 146 in 8mm mauser.

My grandfather used to tell me stories about hunting in Sweden. When I was very young he told me about hunting a very large grouse-like bird with a Husqvarna of some sort, near a town or city named Falun (spelling?), which is the area he came from. I've been interested in the Husqvarnas ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts