Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,423 Posts
What a beauty! I have to get one with those markings.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Congrats Mike you picked another good one your on a roll now. Some of these old war horses will suprise us on how good they still can shoot if we do our part. Heck some of these shoot better than new modern guns do and there so affordable.

Give us some details what ammo were you using?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats Mike you picked another good one your on a roll now. Some of these old war horses will suprise us on how good they still can shoot if we do our part. Heck some of these shoot better than new modern guns do and there so affordable.

Give us some details what ammo were you using?
Thanks guys. I'll post a picture of the ammo can when I can find it on my CPU.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A question: In the first photo of the rifle above, immediately below and behind the rear sight notch, there is a ground-down spot right at the edge of the barrel taper, forward of the hammer & sickle Soviet stamp. My 1925 Tula M91/30 has the same treatment. What was this for, clearance for a different rear sight perhaps? I vaguely remember some mention of this in a post many months ago, but can't seem to find it. Exactly what does this signify?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A question: In the first photo of the rifle above, immediately below and behind the rear sight notch, there is a ground-down spot right at the edge of the barrel taper, forward of the hammer & sickle Soviet stamp. My 1925 Tula M91/30 has the same treatment. What was this for, clearance for a different rear sight perhaps? I vaguely remember some mention of this in a post many months ago, but can't seem to find it. Exactly what does this signify?? Thanks!!
I'm not really sure. This is actually the first hex that I've owned.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Congrats. It a very nice updated dragoon. It's an arsenal and year I'm still missing for my 1920's Soviet grouping.

·
Gold Bullet Member
10,013 Posts
Nice rifle!

"A question: In the first photo of the rifle above, immediately below and behind the rear sight notch, there is a ground-down spot right at the edge of the barrel taper, forward of the hammer & sickle Soviet stamp. My 1925 Tula M91/30 has the same treatment. What was this for, clearance for a different rear sight perhaps? I vaguely remember some mention of this in a post many months ago, but can't seem to find it. Exactly what does this signify?? Thanks!!"

These guns were once Dragoons. Sometime in their history, the edge of their barrel was ground on some of them so their original sight could be adjusted a bit lower. When the rifles were upgraded, the new 91-30 sight no longer fit over the ground area. Just who did it? What country? Who knows?

Here is a pic of my 1929 Tula 91-30 - Note the beveled area? I also included a pic of what a 1929 Dragoon looks like with the original style sight. :)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice rifle!

"A question: In the first photo of the rifle above, immediately below and behind the rear sight notch, there is a ground-down spot right at the edge of the barrel taper, forward of the hammer & sickle Soviet stamp. My 1925 Tula M91/30 has the same treatment. What was this for, clearance for a different rear sight perhaps? I vaguely remember some mention of this in a post many months ago, but can't seem to find it. Exactly what does this signify?? Thanks!!"

These guns were once Dragoons. Sometime in their history, the edge of their barrel was ground on some of them so their original sight could be adjusted a bit lower. When the rifles were upgraded, the new 91-30 sight no longer fit over the ground area. Just who did it? What country? Who knows?

Here is a pic of my 1929 Tula 91-30 - Note the beveled area? I also included a pic of what a 1929 Dragoon looks like with the original style sight. :)

Pahtu.
Thanks! I thought it signified an ex-dragoon, but just wanted to be sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.