Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A well known "picker" in my area found it at the home of a widow of a vet...It was on the floor of the garage! He accidently kicked when he was looking at something else...That's the only history I have so far...I only have 150 in it so I don't think it was intentionally faked...I like it for the fact it actually fits me!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Better pictures would definitely help. The ones posted are not giving me the warm fuzzies (no pun intended). Don't like the buckle - therefore the strap, and the paint is somewhat suspect from the pics posted. Like I said, better/clearer pictures would definitely help, ..................it could just be the pictures.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The buckle is not standard, but I have seen that type---I even have an M18 tranny with that type, just not painted. From the close up of the side, it almost appears to be a pressed in bushing for an M35. Would need clearer pics. Is the "1940" on the inside leather? Any letter codes? As far as thin leather on the chin strap, I have a Luftwaffe M40 picked up on D-Day with a thin leather chin strap (thickness, which is what I think you meant.), but it is original to the helmet. I also have seen and own one LW Rautarn with a reinforced chin strap (A suede-like leather on the part touching the throat) and a brown obverse. The two pieces are stitched together. Have seen others, so there are going to be variations, and field rigging. The big concern for me is the way the liner sits in the shell. It seems too "puffy", not set in with age. I did notice that the zinc band is bent, too. Doesn't mean it isn't good. The paint on the close ups of the shell looks good. For 150, it's hard to complain even if it was not altogether at first, but I don't think that is the case. Soldiers take things apart....even if they ain't s'posed to!

Steve

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's dated inside on the left and right and there is a 59 in a circle also inside....no other letters inkstamped in the liner there is a wool-like inner band around the inside that has been "moused" in a couple spots...It's so hard to take clear pictures on the vga setting on my camera that come out very well, but that size is the only size that will post....I'll try again to get better...Thanks again to everyone that's responded...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.