Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a new member's section, but since this particular part of the forum is the reason I joined.....

Anyway my name is Tom and I'm an OG forum user. I'm 25 and live in southern Maryland. I am married to my beautiful wife of just over one month and we have a zoo. Two dogs, 9 snakes, 4 birds, and a 75gal goldfish tank.

I only have two guns right now (fundage issues). Remington 870 Express Tactical (folding stock is FTL), and a '53 Hungarian M44. I fell in love with her from the first time I pulled the trigger (almost 2 years after I got her). I'm planning on getting a composite stock and scope in the near future since it seems that the gun itself is of almost no value (according to 7.62x54r.net). Here is an ok pic of the Mosin.

My only question is this: What is my best option for scopes? I want pinpoint accuracy at about 250yds. I am well versed in iron sight shooting (and would like to keep that option with whatever scope I get) but want that little bit extra. I've already looked at cheaperthandirt.com for scopes and mounting equipment and frankly it's all a little confusing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
While be it you think your rifle has no value to you, some will disagree. Keep the rifle as it is. It appears to be a fine example of a M44.

If you want the look and feel of a scoped 91/30, go with an ex sniper and start a project.

Best of luck

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While be it you think your rifle has no value to you, some will disagree. Keep the rifle as it is. It appears to be a fine example of a M44.

If you want the look and feel of a scoped 91/30, go with an ex sniper and start a project.

Best of luck

Mike
It's actually not in great shape. Look at the barrel itself and the stock and you will see what I'm talking about. I was given the gun a few years back and I just shot it for the first time about 2 months ago. I'm hooked. Recoil to me is minimal, caused in part I think because it's a carbine (certainly less than my 12ga). I digress, however. As a collector's piece I find it lacking due to condition and non matching parts. As a functional rifle I find it top notch (not a single jam yet....over 50 rounds have been put through it since I've owned it, excellent accuracy) but needing some streamlining and upgrading. Just my opinion. If someone has a serious problem with me restocking and scoping it out for whatever reason, let me know.

·
Silver Bullet member
973 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the Boards! Browse the different forums and threads, and use the Search feature to see if someone else has already asked any questions you might have. Your questions about scopes have been posted in the past, so a search will turn up a bunch of hits.

I'll echo what M. Stewart said, though - your M44 may not be as "leet" as some other MN's, but it's still got a unique history and character. You'll find that most of the people frequenting these forums prefer to keep their MN's as-is, or at most doing a gentle cleaning to remove grime and oil that would otherwise come off on one's hands and clothing. So posting a query about replacing the stock with a composite, and mounting a scope, will get you some frowns and acerbic responses ;)

My humble suggestion is that you leave the M44's stock alone, and you may want to do a search for scout mount options. Essentially, this mount replaces the rear sight leaf and uses the leaf's mounting points, so no permanent modifications are done to the rifle. Darryl's Scout Mounts are an example, but there are others as well. You then mount an extended eye-relief scope, such as a pistol scope. They work pretty well out to the distances you mentioned.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,

Welcome to the Boards! Browse the different forums and threads, and use the Search feature to see if someone else has already asked any questions you might have. Your questions about scopes have been posted in the past, so a search will turn up a bunch of hits.

I'll echo what M. Stewart said, though - your M44 may not be as "leet" as some other MN's, but it's still got a unique history and character. You'll find that most of the people frequenting these forums prefer to keep their MN's as-is, or at most doing a gentle cleaning to remove grime and oil that would otherwise come off on one's hands and clothing. So posting a query about replacing the stock with a composite, and mounting a scope, will get you some frowns and acerbic responses ;)

My humble suggestion is that you leave the M44's stock alone, and you may want to do a search for scout mount options. Essentially, this mount replaces the rear sight leaf and uses the leaf's mounting points, so no permanent modifications are done to the rifle. Darryl's Scout Mounts are an example, but there are others as well. You then mount an extended eye-relief scope, such as a pistol scope. They work pretty well out to the distances you mentioned.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
Thanks for the welcome and your opinion and info.:D

·
Copper Bullet member
408 Posts
I see nothing wrong with that M-44. Since it was given to you, it won't cost you anything to leave it alone. Enjoy it as is. As for re-stock/scope, it might cost you almost as much to do that as it would cost you to get one of those Savage combo deals. IMHO, don't give the old Mosin a facelift. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's actually not in great shape. Look at the barrel itself and the stock and you will see what I'm talking about. I was given the gun a few years back and I just shot it for the first time about 2 months ago. I'm hooked. Recoil to me is minimal, caused in part I think because it's a carbine (certainly less than my 12ga). I digress, however. As a collector's piece I find it lacking due to condition and non matching parts. As a functional rifle I find it top notch (not a single jam yet....over 50 rounds have been put through it since I've owned it, excellent accuracy) but needing some streamlining and upgrading. Just my opinion. If someone has a serious problem with me restocking and scoping it out for whatever reason, let me know.
I'll just echo a few things. First off, welcome and I hope you find reasons to stay and enjoy this forum. That old girl in the pic is a nice example of an m44. Remember these are not sporting rifles, but military weapons that may very well have served in combat. It's a 53, so those dents, scratches etc most likely are the result of training incidents but also may well have been from some low-level conflict somewhere in the world. This is a part of history, which we as collectors are trying to preserve so that others may be able to handle and experience these fine weapons. Once you start to make them "fine-looking" again, you erase that history and it becomes just another rifle. The non-matching parts are normal for this weapon, as the soviets would repeatedly re-furbish them at various arsenals with no regard for keeping like numbers together. Or, they would strike out a non-matching number and stamp or etch in a matching number (forced-matched). They would even overstamp dates on the barrel or swap out receivers from round to earlier hex style (I understand the Finnish Army snipers use rifles with m91 receivers that may be over 100 yrs old). The advice given to you by the more senior members is good advice: use a scope mount that replaces the rear sight and get a long-eye relief scope.

It's your rifle and you can do what you wish with it, but just keep these thoughts in mind first.

BTW, speaking as an army veteran, that tactical sling looks cool, but slings collect mud and dirt; those 4 rounds will need to be wiped down prior to loading them. Not a good idea in a fire fight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.