Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been reading here for a while so I could figure where I fit in.
Name is Paul , Waco,tx, VN Vet. trying to retire but Big O ain't helping.
Any way here be my problem if it is a problem.

#1 How do you remove the stock rings without scratching the wood ,it's already scratched??
#2 how and what would be best materail to refinish the stock back to original??
#3 I got lucky this seems to have the two screws for scope (Ex sniper???)
#4 I took it apart to clean and the blue is absolutly awesome like brand new.
Any help will be appreciated and returned in kind when i have some thing to offer.

thanks

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
1. I've used a little Vaseline to help slide the rings off or a wax paper band.
2. If it is shellaced it is the original finish and you can use denatured alcohol (very lightly ) to blend flaking. If shellac is missing I get my garnet (dewaxed) from The Shellac Shack. Make sure you read the directions. I have a very glossy airbrushed 1934 Tula 91/30 with a smooth shellac finish that I'm gonna' have to strip.
3. That is a GOOD thing!
4. Refurbs are usually gorgeous with reblued berreled receivers and parts.
Last but not least, Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay. This is the home of permanent liberty.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,193 Posts
Just my opinions, here:

#1 How do you remove the stock rings without scratching the wood ,it's already scratched??
#2 how and what would be best materail to refinish the stock back to original??
#3 I got lucky this seems to have the two screws for scope (Ex sniper???)
#4 I took it apart to clean and the blue is absolutly awesome like brand new.
Any help will be appreciated and returned in kind when i have some thing to offer.

thanks
1) I just push in on the retaining spring, and slide the barrel bands up. As most of the Mosin Nagants are refurbished, and have already been shellac'ed more than once, I don't worry much about scratches.
2) Red garnet shellac.
3) Check out the parent site of this forum: www.mosinnagant.net or www.7,62x54r.net for explainations and photos of the sniper variations.
4) Ivan must have been in a good mood during that step of the refurbishment.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
But, we need pics! What year ex-sniper? Izhevsk or Tula? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all or ya'lls help, I will post some pics as soon as I can and all the info on the gun.
Right now I'm cleaning the heck out of it.

Some of my other toy's
Springfielfd NM M1A bought new in 1980 hate to say it but I only shot 2 magazines through it.
Cetme
SKS Russian
PSL
3 Converted saiga's differant calibers
Tokarev SVT40 in new condition, not and import, my father brought it back

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
the 91/30 sounds nice, but the svt-40 sounds like a home run. folks have discussed possible bring back svt-40's for years here, but I can't remember ever seeing one that can be documented. can you share the bring back story on your father's rifle? y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much I can tell he died when I was 10 yrs old, all I remember is him telling that he took it away from a Russian soldier in Germany.
My mother kept it for me until I was 17 then gave it to me I didn't shoot it until 10 yrs later. No paper work that I know of but I would'nt sell it anyway I have thought about giving it to the D-Day Museum In New Orleans when I die.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a question since the finish on my Mosin is screwed up, what can be used to refinish back to original color, I bought some red garnet shellac flakes but it is way off in color.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I should have said what color<G> it is way to light having mixed the intire bag, making it very concentrated I have put 3 coats on a test peice of wood still very light and takes forever to dry.
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts