Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve always loved the Gew 88 and am fascinated by their history and how much they’ve traveled and done in their ~130 year lifetimes. However, they are as confusing as they are interesting, with some rifles being perfect all-matching time capsules and others being mixed and matched to hell and back by multiple countries in their lives. I have also found that unless you speak German, pretty much the only serious resource about them is Scarlata’s A Collector’s Guide to the Gew 88 Commission Rifles and Carbines which has been out of print for years and is seemingly unavailable, unless someone has a copy they wouldn’t mind parting with :) There was a previous project here on gunboards that ended years ago and looked only at manufacturer, serial, and year, whereas this project is more focused on determining how common each upgrade or update was, and especially how common barrel changes were.

Whether you bought a dozen barreled receivers from Century this that are missing thirty parts or have a museum grade example without a single ding on it, I am interested in what your rifle(s) have to say.

So to summarize, the goal of this project is to determine how common certain features are on these old rifles. The features I am collecting data on are shown in the picture above and will be explained further below.

Manufacturer: which company made your rifle or carbine, or which Turkish arsenal refurbished it if it is an 88/05/35

Receiver Serial number

Matching?
: Does the rifle at a minimum have a matching receiver and barrel jacket? If fully matching please make note!

Production Year

Rifle Type
: Is it a Gew 88. 88/05, 88/14, 88/05/35 (Turkish rework with new stock and no barrel jacket), Kar 88, or Gew 91?

Turkish?: Has it been through any amount of Turkish rework?

Barrel: Does it have the original sharply stepped barrel, the later gradual taper, or a completely new barrel as seen on many Turkish reworked rifles?

S: Does it have the S upgrade indicated on the receiver?

Z: Does it have the Z upgrade indicated on the receiver?

.”: Does it have the dot (“.”) upgrade indicated on the receiver?

Again, whether you bought a dozen barreled receivers from Century that are rusted out sewer pipes with nary a part in sight, or have a museum grade example without all the original bluing and wood on it, I am interested in what your rifles have to say.

Are there any other unique or interesting markings on your rifle? Let me know and I’ll make note and we can try to make sense of them!

I won’t share your rifle’s serial number with the world or collect any personal info unless you for some reason believe it is necessary.

Feel free to drop your rifles' info below or if you'd rather send a pm then that's fine too. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have also found that unless you speak German, pretty much the only serious resource about them is Scarlata’s A Collector’s Guide to the Gew 88 Commission Rifles and Carbines which has been out of print for years and is seemingly unavailable,
this is just my opinion, but Storz book on the Gewehr 88 encompasses just about all the information a collector could feasibly want on the subject?

(not downplaying your study, serial studies are always interesting)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is just my opinion, but Storz book on the Gewehr 88 encompasses just about all the information a collector could feasibly want on the subject?

(not downplaying your study, serial studies are always interesting)
This is mostly for my own interest so I'll likely keep up with it anyway but if there is another source that is available I'd be interested. What's the title of Storz' book? When searching for reading on Gew 88s the only things I've ever been able to find are forum posts and Scarlata's book which has been out of print for a few years and I don't speak German to be able to read the German edition which is the only one I've ever seen for sale

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,402 Posts
Here you go. I know Dr. Storz and he is truly an expert when it comes to German Imperial rifles. Here is the complete set.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

Should be on every German gun collectors shelves. I bought my copy from a toy store in Kansas? I only took a few seconds to search for the book, but I did not see them in the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Should be on every German gun collectors shelves. I bought my copy from a toy store in Kansas? I only took a few seconds to search for the book, but I did not see them in the results.
Thank you! I never came across this when I spent a fair amount of time looking for books on the subject over the past couple days, and of course now I see that it's the only listed reading for the C&Rsenal episode on the rifle. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 4 if you still want info let me know and ill get them out
Yep still interested if you've got the time! This is mostly a project aimed at roughly how common certain markings are in the states and especially how common the different barrel types of the rifles that are still around so I'm interested in whatever you've got!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts