Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was able to take a look at my Dad's new rifle and she's a beaut. 1948 FN sporter in .30-06 brought in by firearms international corp. Not quite mint, but still a good buy at $375. I had a couple questions regarding the scope and a defect in the stock. The scope is a stith kullmorgen bear cub on a stith mount. How the heck do I adjust this thing when sighting in? How do I remove the scope base? Do I just twist the rear of the scope to adjust the focus? Lastly, on the left side of the stock, there's this black stuff around the action. The texture isn't any different from the "normal" looking areas of the stock, is this just someone leaving it too close to the campfire on a hunting trip? Is there a way to get rid of it? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help my Dad get his new gun up and running.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
if you haven't fiddled around with the scope and the mount, it will probably be shooting very close to right on. that is a lovely old set-up from days gone by, and the scope should be very good quality. makes me envious. you need to post more pics/close-ups of the eyepiece so we can try to figure out the focus method.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frosty! Yeah, I put together a Tikka T3 in 7mm Mag for my Dad about 7 years ago when he moved to AZ and he didn't have time to bowhunt anymore. When I sighted it in, it was a 1/3 MOA rifle and has killed a lot of Coues Deer but he wanted something more classic; I'm glad you can appreciate it too. The guy I bought it from wasn't the original owner and had removed the scope, taken the action out of the stock, etc. The scope is also canted about 25* to the right so I want to remount it anyhow. Hence my desire to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I head off to the hills to make sure she shoots straight. If anybody else has info. on scope removal and adjustment, let me know. As for the focus, it looks like the eye piece itself just twists. Is that how you do it on these old scopes? I just want to make sure I'm not accidentally unscrewing the thing. Any idea on the wood too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.