Gunboards Forums banner

New find that followed me home

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  mike-the-bike 
#1 ·
Hi All
An old war horse followed me home today hoping for a good retirement.
As far as I can see it is a LE No1 * with matching bolt and barrel serial number.
Been sporterised...but most have these days
Can any one help with further identifying the old girl?

See less See more
#4 ·
The "I*" is the Mark, not the Number.

Bolt head is intact, rear sight is intact, and you have the rear handguard. Could be a good candidate for restoration.

What's the barrel info under the handguard?
I have not taken any wood off yet to clean it up, the bolt cycles dummy rounds just fine, stripper clips load fine, bore appears to have good rifling, but a good clean and bore scope will tell the truth.
Where about under the hand guard?
Cheers
Mike
PS It was a give away along with two single shot 12g, and two 'for spares only' .22LRs

#15 ·
The forend will be a tough one as far as being a challenge. The one on it appears to be a Mklll.
I foresee a lot of homework in someone's near future!

1906 dated. A perfect perch for displaying a nice Pattern '03 bayonet. Something else to buy, but only after the rifle is wearing a proper Mkl nosecap. :)
I’ve come across a few Mk1 forends over time, but only ever picked up one Mk1 front handguard. Had to pay for it too, still never found a use for it, but I enjoy knowing I have a very nice spare in the cupboard.

#23 ·
Go here and read up.

#24 ·
Go here and read up.

Thinking------> How long has it been since anyone got something from Neil?

Most of the contacts listed are gone. I heard Neil wasn't in good health.

#26 ·
Great find Mike, I would have been all over that too.
I am missing my gun shows,
I'm annoyed that every other show in town is on ( Easter show, caravan and camping show, the madi gra ) but the organisers of the Sydney show have cancelled the event for the rest of the year !!
Maybe next year

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Re stampings on barrel.
N as previously quoted = accepted for Naval Use.
06 = year, which coincides with date on wrist, so an original barrel.
Two arrows pointed towards each other = sold out of service to the general public.
The arrow, also seen on other components = Enfield examiners stamp.
The various other smaller stamps = Examiners stamps. The various letters and numbers referring to the particular examiner who passed the equipment.
The crown over ER over crossed flags over a P = proof mark.

Maybe others can chip in as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.