Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
An old war horse followed me home today hoping for a good retirement.
As far as I can see it is a LE No1 * with matching bolt and barrel serial number.
Been sporterised...but most have these days
Can any one help with further identifying the old girl?

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
The "I*" is the Mark, not the Number.

Bolt head is intact, rear sight is intact, and you have the rear handguard. Could be a good candidate for restoration.

What's the barrel info under the handguard?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "I*" is the Mark, not the Number.

Bolt head is intact, rear sight is intact, and you have the rear handguard. Could be a good candidate for restoration.

What's the barrel info under the handguard?
I have not taken any wood off yet to clean it up, the bolt cycles dummy rounds just fine, stripper clips load fine, bore appears to have good rifling, but a good clean and bore scope will tell the truth.
Where about under the hand guard?
Cheers
Mike
PS It was a give away along with two single shot 12g, and two 'for spares only' .22LRs

·
Registered
759 Posts
If the barrel is original, I’d say all the important bits are there. The nosecap and forend wont be serial numbered, then just a cutoff, volley arm and a Mk1 safety and it’ll look pretty good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the barrel is original, it measures 24 1/2" from the muzzle to the front of the receiver, looks like some one had a great time playing with the stamps on the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The forend will be a tough one as far as being a challenge. The one on it appears to be a Mklll.
I foresee a lot of homework in someone's near future!

1906 dated. A perfect perch for displaying a nice Pattern '03 bayonet. Something else to buy, but only after the rifle is wearing a proper Mkl nosecap. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
The forend will be a tough one as far as being a challenge. The one on it appears to be a Mklll.
I foresee a lot of homework in someone's near future!

1906 dated. A perfect perch for displaying a nice Pattern '03 bayonet. Something else to buy, but only after the rifle is wearing a proper Mkl nosecap. :)
I’ve come across a few Mk1 forends over time, but only ever picked up one Mk1 front handguard. Had to pay for it too, still never found a use for it, but I enjoy knowing I have a very nice spare in the cupboard.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I’ve come across a few Mk1 forends over time, but only ever picked up one Mk1 front handguard. Had to pay for it too, still never found a use for it, but I enjoy knowing I have a very nice spare in the cupboard.
Well, going to a later "WW1 in-service repair/upgrade" configuration wouldnt be too much of a stretch. Mklll parts for the front end would not be exactly easy to find but a lot easier to get than Mk1.
Nice that you have the handguard. Back when I 'restored' a 1*** that was the one thing that never made its way onto the rifle.
Same as you, I gave up on the restorations. Scarcity and rising costs made it too upside down money-wise.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, going to a later "WW1 in-service repair/upgrade" configuration wouldnt be too much of a stretch. Mklll parts for the front end would not be exactly easy to find but a lot easier to get than Mk1.
Nice that you have the handguard. Back when I 'restored' a 1*** that was the one thing that never made its way onto the rifle.
Same as you, I gave up on the restorations. Scarcity and rising costs made it too upside down money-wise.
Honestly, I should sell all my parts and go and buy 2 really nice complete matching rifles. We’ll see?🤔

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
no fun and challenge then....(y)
There comes a time when fun has been had and challenges have been met. Time for new challenges...
For me it was selling off all the thousands of dollars I hoarded and stored in the form of surplus store/gun shop/antique shop inventory.
That made room for the things I decided now I wanted. Those things joined the things I had decided to keep. The old old things are getting along quite nicely with the new old things.
Plus....someone else has collected all the things I set free!
Its sort of like the cycle of life without having to die right away? :cool:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
53,430 Posts
There comes a time when fun has been had and challenges have been met. Time for new challenges...
For me it was selling off all the thousands of dollars I hoarded and stored in the form of surplus store/gun shop/antique shop inventory.
That made room for the things I decided now I wanted. Those things joined the things I had decided to keep. The old old things are getting along quite nicely with the new old things.
Plus....someone else has collected all the things I set free!
Its sort of like the cycle of life without having to die right away? :cool:

[soapbox]
and a very smart thing to do,
you maximize the return (in a way) and your heirs don't have to fret over hat this bit or bob is,

[/soapbox]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts