Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Skimming through the new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog, I found something interesting, a new DRT Ammunition, claiming to be the most accurate gun, standing for Dynamic Research Technologies.

Quote"
This ammo does the exact opposite of what you would expect. These rounds will shoot through a telephone pole, but it will not shoot through the average house cat. Here is the best part, these are ideal for crowd control, home defense, or close quarter combat, the bullet will hit the target and dissipate inside the target, killing them instantly without going through and injuring an innocent bystander." Unquote.

Sounds pretty interesting. Anyone tried this ammo yet? $70 dollars for a box of 50, that is way to much for me
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM463-5.html

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Big market for this kind of ammo is the Police and Military.

As they are spending YOUR money (taxes).... Price is not too much of a concern.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Frangible ammo is not new. It will not shoot through a telephone pole and is less effective aganst a live target becouse the mass does not stay together and dumps its energy to soon. I have yet to see any frangible bullets used in a benchrest competition so thats a good indicator of accuracy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Frangible ammo is like Splenda, neither one does the job well and both are too expensive. Spend your money on real bullets so you'll be alive to apologize to the neighbor if a pass through hits his car.

rr2241tx

·
Registered
697 Posts
I liked how they capitalized "Instant Death" in the ad. Please. I can see Bubba shelling out big for this ammo.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,793 Posts
oh boy magic ammo that can tell the difference between types of targets and adjust itself accordingly.

yeah right

·
Diamond Bullet member
5,536 Posts
Possible analog

Please, bear with me here.

As a kitchen experiment that the kids will enjoy dissolve cornstarch in water in a bowl or pie pan. You need enough cornstarch to make a colloidal mixture or a mixture that has the consistency of runny oatmeal. Now "poke" the mixture fast and hard with your finger. The mixture is resistant to compressional force and will surprise you with its resistance :eek:. In contrast if you slide your finger in more slowly, the mixture behaves like a slimy fluid and offers no resistance :cool:.

Not that I would buy this ammo, but if the medium in the bullet is a fine powder like that described in the advertisement, I suppose it is possible that it could react to stress like our cornstarch slurry. In that case when striking the telephone pole the powder "stiffens" in response to the high compressional force while it slides apart when it encounters the shear force associated with a "softer" target.

Sometimes I wish I had gotten more from my Physics class :eek:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts