Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my first Swedish rifles a couple weeks ago, courtesy of TradeEx. The first is this lovely CG80, built on a 1917 receiver that - if I'm correct - was previously the basis of an earlier CG63.

Profile.jpg Carl Gustaf 1917.JPG Bore.JPG

The iris on the Elit sight is in rough shape, unfortunately:

Rear Sight.JPG

Based on the wealth of info on this board, I've been able to decipher some of the markings. For example, the original inspector in 1917 was Helge Kolthoff, and the proof test rune indicates that the rifle was most likely previously a CG63, before being reincarnated as a CG80. I haven't removed it from the stock yet, but it looks like there will be a year indicated under the crowned "C".

Receiver Markings.JPG

But I'm still in the dark about what some of the other markings mean. I think the barrel marking reads "Hellqvist 576", which makes sense because according to arilar's very informative posts on such matters, that indicates one of the official gunsmiths, Eric Hellqvist, would have worked on the rifle. However, I'm not sure about the "576", or what kind of barrel this is, or whether it's original or a later replacement.

Barrel Markings.jpg

Also, there are a few modifications to the bolt. Here is the CG80's bolt, on the left, next to an M96 bolt:

Bolts - Cocking Pieces.jpg Sear.JPG Trigger.jpg

The cocking piece is much shorter, to correspond to a much longer sear in the action, and a very different trigger. Does anyone have any information on this trigger, and whether all CG80s were fitted with the same trigger or not?

The bolt also features an extra hole near the bolt face, and the original one has been enlarged. Here the CG80 is on top, the M96 on the bottom:

Bolts - Holes.jpg

Is this a precaution against over-pressure, and are these rifles then capable of less conservative loadings than the usual Swedish surplus Mausers?

Thanks in advance for any info/insight into this rifle; this forum is a treasure trove of information about these wonderful rifles and their history, which makes them all the more enjoyable. It is very disappointing that the "Crown Jewels" book is no longer in print or available. I don't suppose anyone has a copy they'd care to part with? :)

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
if you get a hold of Fson he might be able to sell/find you a replacement sight - I have dealt with him numerous times and he is great (+ he takes PP :) )
:tisk: you will have to get in line for a copy of Crown Jewels - I myself trying to get two (one for my office another to suck up to my father in law), without a luck thus far.
I do not own CG80 as of yet, thus can't help you with bolt comparisons, however, she sure looks REAL NICE.
Congrats!

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum . If & when you take your rifle apart , you need to check the diameter of the barrel at the receiver . A CG80 barrel should be 32m/m & these never used a handguard , so no need for a H/G/ retainer . A CG63 barrel will measure 28m/m , so it was small enough to use a H/G . It looks like you may have a CG63 action in a CG80 stock . That is one option available to Swedish shooters .

The larger hole in the bolt is from an earlier time period which was done when originally manufactured . I do not see many like this , but I did a buy a new unused bolt from Numrich Gun Parts in the USA exactly like that . I assume it was a trial at some point in time & should be not problem if you load the cartridges to meet Swedish specs . Being a small ring Mauser receiver , it was not meant for high pressure loads anyway .

The CG63 had a grooved M96 trigger , while two adjustable triggers were approved by the FSR , a Danish M69 Shultz & Larsen trigger and a Norwegian trigger made at the Kongsberg factory & marked " KV " on the side of the trigger .

Your buggered up rear aperture is the result of someone trying to remove it . The Elit is the only diopter the Swedes used with a left hand thread on the aperture . Those are hard to find loose & I rarely see them for sale . You may contact " Fson " by PM and ask if he has a replacement . There are two types of rear apertures for the Elit diopter . A one piece with only a left hand thread and a two piece with the left hand thread and the aperture screws into the opposite end with a right hand thread . The two piece apertures are most common . Either one should work on your diopter provided the threads are not damaged .

Sorry , no copies of " Crown Jewels " are for sale right now , unless you want to pay $3000 for the one copy on Amazon.com . There is talk about a 2nd printing , but that will be some time in the future .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love the stock on this rifle, very nice. I always thought it was interesting that this rifle had the hand guard retainer still installed. I always assumed it was a plain 63 action in the 80 stock. Looks like a nice set-up though. It should shoot well, and hopefully the stock bedding is for that action and not a previous action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The barrel is indeed 28mm. So this is properly a CG63, then? With a CG80 stock fitted during the CG80 era, or later? The bedding is quite tight, no signs of there having been any other previous bedding job. The trigger has no markings that i can see, but there is an allen key adjustment screw at the top of the trigger.

·
8,550 Posts
Yes , I think the owner upgraded to a CG80 stock for his CG63 target rifle . With no " KV " on you trigger , it would be a M69 Shultz & Larsen . I do not know how to identify the M69 . If it is some other type of trigger , it was probably done outside Sweden . I do not know why the H/G retainer was not removed when the stock was switched ? Can you see if the bedding fits closely to it ? Another clue , you will probably see the markings on the flat bottom of the receiver transferred to the bedding . The markings should match .

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi turps and welcome to this forum,nice rifle you picked up.It has a nice cg80 stock,it was a cg63 but updated with nice features.You most certainly have a S&L M69 trigger,over all a very nice rifle.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies and info. The H/G retainer is tight in the bedding. In the second photo above, you can see a small hole in the top of the stock, just in front of the retainer; there is an identical one on the opposite side as well. Not sure what those were for. Also, the stock is relieved slightly for a bolt handle that would have come down further than the straight bolt does (in photo 8). I wonder whether that indicates a different setup at one time?

·
8,550 Posts
Those two holes are in the top of CG80 stocks & the purpose is unknown at this time . Straight bolts were preferred by Swedish shooters , but maybe the previous owner had a custom bent bolt installed ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have seen those two holes on top of FSR stocks wearing a heat mirage shield,connected on front sight ,and with two small hooks connecting to those small holes.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have seen those two holes on top of FSR stocks wearing a heat mirage shield,connected on front sight ,and with two small hooks connecting to those small holes.
This is also what I recall.

The rifle Turps has required is in Sweden known as the CG80. Its the stock that makes the difference. In this case lacking the typical CG80s bolt-handle.

BTW. I had the pleasure to interview Eric Hellqvist two years ago at the age of 93. He left Norma 1972 to start his own business and continued with that until 1987. Eric claims (like two other gun-smiths) that he was the first to import barrels directly from S&L. He started with this in 1972. Like several other FSR gunsmiths did Eric mark the barrels he mounted on CG63 and CG80s. The usual way was to mark with month and year for the job (in this case May 1976= 576). Beware! This is oral information ( in this case original from Eric himself) and never written in any english or swedish text-books!
Regards,
ARILAR:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts