Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my CAI Pistol last weekend, it goes with my Draco although IMO it's not as nicely built a pistol. The pistol looks to have been built off a AMD kit with a new USA barrel that in my case was short threaded by a couple of threads (not good since now the MB has a gap in the front), it's also missing the cleaning rod. Supposedly it's built on a Nodak receiver although it doesn't say that anywhere on the pistol, just CAI AK Pistol, it is marked in the same fashion as the Nodak's (forward of the mag well in the same script) just not marked as such. The rear trunnion is a AMD folder without the folder with a metal plate welded over the rear to stay in BATF compliance (can not accept a rear stock). In the front the pistol uses a slightly modified Romanian lower handguard (to fit the AMD lower retainer) which IMO looks wrong :) Since that along with the AMD gas tube just doesn't look right to me I modified a standard gas tube by shortening it and reflaring it to fit the AMD length barrel. I had recently swapped out my AK74's front handguards so I had those laying around to use. Here's the results along with a picture of it with my Draco (now wearing E German furniture) I like it's looks now much better then before

Attachments

·
56,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cut it rough length, then used a 3/8 bottleneck socket to start the flare and finally a 13mm sock to finish, taking a small hammer and tapping around the edge smoothed it out and gave it a finished look.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hmm.. I was wondering, would having an underfolding stock put on one of these be a feasible task? I'd have to get the tax stamp for an sbr correct? What other legal issues might there be?

·
56,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hmm.. I was wondering, would having an underfolding stock put on one of these be a feasible task? I'd have to get the tax stamp for an sbr correct? What other legal issues might there be?
IMO I would not use one of these, the draco would be a much pistol to SBR since it already has an UF'er trunnion in place VS the AMD's side folding type. You are correct you'd have to get your SBR stamp to legaly do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes sorry the Draco pistol was the one I was referring to. With an underfolder I guess that would make it what, an AKs47U haha. Nice couple of pistols ya got there by the way :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
wood handguard

I just finished a romanian gas tube for the ak pistol. I used map gas, a 4 inch extension to get the bevel started after I cut the tube a little longer then the correct length....then a 12mm socket, then a 13mm socket. I then heat treated with oil and tempered to soften it....any thoughts on tempering would be appreciated..not sure if needed, but metal seemed very hard after numerous heatings with map gas.....I did use opsoe metal treatment from ace hardware before painting....it's phospheric acid. Used a 1 1/2 inch cutting wheel on a dremel and put the end of the tube against the side of the disk to get the end of the tube even....worked good.

It seems you only need about a 1/3 of an inch or so of tube expansion to get it fitting right on the gas block.

Here's a pic before I finished the tube....used rust oleum professional from lowes....very good cheap paint that dries fast and matches well.

Also, here's a pic with a quad rail....can use the gas tube that comes with the pistol....works good but I did have to fit the top handguard at the rear where it sits on top of the gas tube.

I also fitted a galil ak style handguard...can use the original gas tube with it....just fit it where it meets the receiver (on the bottom of the handguard)....the handguard is a little long and needs fitting....it will get wide at the top when you swing the handguard arm down to lock it in place if you don't fit it. The top flat piece won't stay in place if you don't trim the length.

Honestly, I like the galil handguard the best. I will use it hunting next year. You can use a high cap mag in florida because it's a pistol. If you lay your left hand thumb along the top left edge of the galil handguard then you'll notice all you have to do is put the target to the right of your thumb and the sights are dead on....very good for quick running shots! You may not even have to look at the sights. Experiment with it!!!

I love the look of this gun with a 10 round mag....very symetrical....like an arrow head.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.