Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a c96 at the Louisville show the other
day, mixed numbers and a few parts need to be replaced but overall it looks to be a good shooter. Bolt stop was replaced.
It has the "new safety" but no mark on the hammer, can't find anything about that on the web.
Barrel number is an 1897 production, if only it were the whole gun!
Any comments? Safe to shoot?

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
I hate to say it, but if you look in the last picture you can see that the bolt stop slot in the upper is stressed/has a gap from being shot with hot ammo. Personally, I would not shoot this pistol since that piece of metal is the only thing keeping the bolt from smacking you in the face. At the very least I would want to get it x-rayed to make sure the damage is not critical.

·
Registered
757 Posts
ACL_KY,

When you say "unmarked" I guess you mean no intertwined NS for new safety. Could be pre WWI. As others have commented barrel extension shows stress. It is a mix master non-shooter. Surprisingly low SN on the chamber could indicate Chinese origin. I think you bought a paper weight. I hope you did not get in to deep.

Regards,

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you bought this Broomhandle for $400-500 or so, you can part it out and turn a profit (everything but the "lower" receiver can be sold on eBay, and there were some crazy bidding wars there over some parts such as barrel/extension).

I wonder though - has a battered bolt stop opening in the extension been actually known to cause "catastrophic" failures? For the "bolt in the face" scenario to happen, you need (1) not just fracture, but a complete breaking off of the metal at the back of the extension behind the bolt stop opening, (2) failure of the bolt stop, or (3) failure of the bolt. I would imagine option (1) would not happen at once - that is, probably it should start with a crack that should develop over many shots, and in this case we are not really concerned with options (2) and (3). Unless the metal of the upper is very brittle, I am not sure this condition should quickly cause failure No. 1. But I'm only theoretizing; I would really like to learn of any specific examples of C96 incidents proving that my speculations are wrong.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, if the extention was failing it would probably be over time and noticeable as long as I'm diligent. But to be on the safe side, I'll have if checked out if I decide to shoot it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.