Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think many can be intrested in book, that was recently published. Currently this is most detailed source about Tokarev rifles.
Language - Russian

???_???????.jpg Tokarev semi automatic and full auto rifles. - Saint Petersburg, Atlant, 2014. - 344p.

Book author - Ruslan N. Chumak.
Candidate of technical Sciences (2007, Tula State University )
After graduating from Penza high military artillery engineering school (specialty – “Small arms”) served over 24 years in Soviet \Russian Federation Army. Particularly, in The Main Missile and Artillery Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation (GRAU). Was a lecturer in Tula high military artillery engineering school. Military rank – Colonel.
After retirement from army worked in Central design research Bureau of sporting and hunting arms, Tula as a design engineer. Currently works at the construction bureau in St. Petersburg. Special correspondent of “Kalashnikov. Arms, ammunition, equipment” magazine, author of the book “Russian 7,62 rifle cartridge. History and evolution”, and number of scientific and historical area articles
?? ??????. ???? ????? ?.?..jpg

Book describes full cycle of construction and development of Tokarev semi automatic and full auto rifles. Also book describes such aspects as rearmament of Red Army with Tokarev rifles, their production during prewar and wartime periods, specifics of their use.
Book contains 9 chapters, 344 pages and over 1300 pictures\illustrations.
8812910.jpg 8812912.jpg
Brief description of chapters is below :
Chapter 1: The role of infantry arms in wars during XX century, reasons of special attention of weapon costructors to semi automatic and full auto rifles. It describes progress of Tokarev’s activiity related to construction of semi automatic and full auto rifles. Chronology of creation of Soviet full auto rifle, results of contest for creation of full auto rifles in 1920-30s.
Chapter 2 :Description of Tokarev trial rifles and carbines. Contains a lot of previously unpublished examples. Accompanied by a large number of pictures, drawings, illustrations.
Chapter 3 is related to construction of all serial modifications of Tokarev rifles, tools, and and other spare parts. Original drawings of SVT-38, SVT-40, and tools were widely used.
Chapter 4 is related to analysis of SVT-40 construction from the point of view of modern gun design. Also SVT-40 is compared with it's foreign analogues - german G41(W) and Garand M1.
Chapter 5 is related to to specifics of rearmament of Red Army with SVT rifles, and their place in Soviet infantry division during WW2.
Chapter 6 related to production of Tokarev rifles during prewar and wartime periods. In this chapter you will find qantities of produced guns for all factories during whole production period.
Chapter 7 is related to the field use of Tokarev rifles, their main limitations and reasons of their appearence. Contains documents, that shows efficiency of SVT and AVT, and comparing to Mosin 91\30, PPSH-41. Based of archive materials.
Chapter 8 is related to use of Tokarev rifles in Finland and Germany.
Chapter 9 is related to markings of Tokarev rifles.
Also book contains 9 appendixes, that contain additional graphic and text content.

Book is sold by publisher, and can be ordered at online store

http://www.atlant-tpg.ru/en/moreinfo/437/

0.jpg 1.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 9.1.jpg 9.2.jpg 9.3.jpg

·
Gold Bullet member
11,237 Posts
Alex:

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you think there is any chance of an English language edition?
Fingers crossed! :cross

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Any chance they will do a English version ? Printing cost in Russia any cheaper than the U.S. ? Maybe we could do a group buy? How many copies 500, 1500, 2000 would be needed to make it pay ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,020 Posts
It seems to me that the USA has the most collectors of SVTs of any place in the world so I'd assume you could sell many copies in English - Canadians would buy also.

·
Administrator
3,417 Posts
I'd buy one if it was in English.

·
Administrator
11,840 Posts
I pre-ordered it a long time ago, still waiting...

·
Administrator
19,254 Posts
I wish. Perhaps a translation could be done or the information included in another publication in English. Lets hope I'm anxious to see it as well.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,020 Posts
Ok Ratnik - can you please post a listing of production numbers by year and maker - I've always wanted to know that!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will not see this everyday.
SVT silencer, 1941 Podolsk stock with sling slot escutcheon and barrel band with bottom swivel, 1942 Zlatoust stock, and early version of Tokarev mount that was used at first PU scopes test in May, 1940
DSC_7620.jpg DSC_7622.jpg DSC_7624.jpg DSC_7625.jpg DSC_7623.jpg

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Very interesting! I wonder how many surviving examples of those are around today...

Was there anything in the book about the amount of rifles produced at Zlatoust?

I wonder what era are those b&w photos?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts