·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,843 Posts
By heroes, about heroes...

Poot

·
Platinum Bullet Member
5,829 Posts
One of the most memorable people I have know was a vet of the 82. He made all the ww2 jumps but Market Garden wounds received in June kept him on the ground. He was willing to share in some detail the D-Day events around St. Mare. John until his dieing day maintained a powerfull resentment towards the Germans. A little boose was like gas on a fire. I once ask John how many days passed before they linked up with the troops coming from the beach. John drew him self up and said oh no we didn't link up with them they linked up with us. I miss him

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
96,402 Posts
Heros, yes. Also crazy. JUMP out of an airplane? At night? With hostiles (Germans at that, some of the most accomplished killers on the planet) waiting for me to land? Insane.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,399 Posts
Something only a young person would do. Old people have too much sense.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had 62 parachute jumps and a guy once asked me "Why jump from a perfectly good plane?". I asked back "If they are perfectly good, why were parachutes invented??" LOL! But I never had anyone shooting at me and this book is DEFINITELY on my "Gotta-Have" list!!

·
96,402 Posts
Heard that remark (about jumping out of perfectly good airplanes) made in the hearing of an Aviation Maintenance Warrant one time during my green-suit days. The Chief (a CW4) looked at the speaker (a Major) and said "With all due respect sir, I've been working on airplanes for over 20 years now. And I have YET to see one take off that didn't have SOMETHING wrong with it...". I KNEW there was a reason I didn't trust those things.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
Heard that remark (about jumping out of perfectly good airplanes) made in the hearing of an Aviation Maintenance Warrant one time during my green-suit days. The Chief (a CW4) looked at the speaker (a Major) and said "With all due respect sir, I've been working on airplanes for over 20 years now. And I have YET to see one take off that didn't have SOMETHING wrong with it...". I KNEW there was a reason I didn't trust those things.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure as H___l wouldn't jump from one even if my life depended on it!

·
96,402 Posts
I let my elephant's mouth overload my canary's a$$ while i was in college and then found myself making a jump to prove I hadn't just been running my mouth. I then made another one, just to prove to myself i could do it again.

I would do it again. If the airplane was on fire or something equally compelling...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts