Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Berthier. It's an 07/15 made at Chatellerault in 1916. It is a rust master special but is cleaning up nicely. The only problem that I have found so far is a slightly bent firing pin. I have a new pin and spring coming from Numrich.

Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
First Berthier

Congratulations on your first Berthier. My very first French rifle was also an 07/15 which I bought for $25.00 at Buckhorn Trading Post in Dallas Texas. It too needed some TLC but cleaned up well. I still have the rifle in my collection.

Berthier rifles and carbines of all configurations and models are fun to collect, although they are getting quite expensive as compared to what they were a few years ago. Still, you can still find bargains. Some consider the Berthier to be an "ugly" weapon. I guess to me it is so ugly it is attractive, if that makes any sense.

Post pictures if you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid $40.00 for it. The only thing that I have found wrong with it is the firing pin and a new pin and spring should be here in the next couple of days. I have the loading dies and all the components. I'll make a dummy round to test the action then load a batch.

Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
New Berthier

Greetings,

Wow! You stole the thing! A Berthier in any condition (almost) is worth $40.00. Plus, it's nice to restore something that has seen hard use/abuse. It's like preserving a bit of history.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,146 Posts
I don't see why they are considered ugly, I find the length and flowing stock lines very pleasing to the eye, with the trigger and guard neatly tucked away behind the stock swelling, more elegant in fact than any Mausers or Lee-Enfields of the period in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think it's because most people who collect milsurps come across several Mausers before they find a Berthier. It is not based on the Mauser in any way and thus looks and works differently. I suspect someone "squeezed" this rifle in something because there is a slight bend in the trigger guard directly below where the firing pin is bent. The trigger guard damage is so slight that I'm not going to worry about it but I do have to replace the firing pin. Other than that, I think it's just incredably dirty.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The friend who had it was going to give it to me but I didn't want to take advantage of his impulse buying. Last year he gave me a bag of rusty parts that is now a shootable Gewehr 88.

Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
1,146 Posts
Good luck with it, I'm waiting on the paperwork to get a nice Mle1916 rifle from the US to NL. Not a difficult process, just lots of form filling.

I have not seen ANY Lebels or Berthiers here during national "veteran battle rifle" shoots, its all Mausers and Lee-Enfields, so I look forward to introducing an outsider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like going to the range with a rifle that attracts the comment " What the hxxl is that?". The icing on the cake is when you get someone who looks down there nose at your old " piece of garbage" and you then outshoot their brand new Remchesterby with it.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, it was in better shape then I thought. I'm pretty much finished it. Firing pin and spring have been replaced and it is thoroughly cleaned and derusted.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts