Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

A retired armourer I am still in touch sent me an email few months ago. He had be given a old Berthier mousqueton. If I was not interested he would scrap it.
Said please have it shipped to me !! After a long journey it finally arrived home.
As we say in France "à cheval donné on ne regarde pas la bouche"
It's not new to say the least, some parts are missing (have them) some springs are broken (should able to find them)
reciever is Continsouza (N marked)
Barrel is MA T 1918
stock in bad shape is matching
bolt is matching itself
trigger guard assembly is not matching and most springs are broken.

But it's mine and I will have a lot of fun to put it back to life (or almost)

Moblotaire

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The number under the the proofmarks indicates for one the month of proofing of the barreled assembly, and the other one is indicating the month of the barrel proofing after fabrication.

My Mle M-16 has a barrel proofed in July 1918, the barrel receiver assembly was proofed in August 1918, and the stock roundel indicate a reception in September 1918.

kelt

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Mon Colonel: I heard the same thing in Alemania; "Einem geshenkten Gaul, sietst man nichts ins Maul" It means exactly the same thing as the French proverb....

I have some springs and small parts and a few bayonets if you need one...

Dale

·
Administrator
9,610 Posts
Seems to be a European-Common saying, In Italian "Caval' Donato non si guarda in bocca" and of course, "Never look a Gift Horse in the Mouth".

I wonder if the Russians had the same saying, or were they more pragmatic..."Gift Horse?? lets eat."

Regards,
Doc AV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts