Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of years I have been waiting on the new Bass Pro Shops location in Leeds, (about 15 miles from me), and this past week, it finally did.
Not a whole lot of specific interest to the milsurp crowd I know on this site, though there are TONS of shooting and outdoors-related items at pretty good prices. There is something there even for those who could care less about fishing.
The gun counter was big but somehow not quite as extensive as I expected. Every brand of Remchester was represented, appropriate since the focus is on hunting, though there were a few target rifles and the place has reloading supplies and equipment. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised at the selection of pistols, even though prices were close to full retail.
Ammp prices were about average. The pics are what the place has in "our" calibers.

· Registered
129 Posts
If it's anything like the one in Nashville, bargains will be few and far between. Ammo is sky high, guns usually $50 higher than our local gunshops and milsurp is non-existant.

That being said, sometimes they are the only ones who might have that special item you're looking for, and their Thanksgiving and Fall hunting sales sometimes have items at a good price.

· Silver Bullet member
1,016 Posts
don't forget to buy from them, it costs money to keep that stuff there for you to ogle.

I'd rather pay a little more to see what I buy and keep local folks employed, so I do patronize my local BSP.

· Registered
816 Posts
We have a new one as well outside of Richmond, VA...good prices on shotgun ammo if you shoot trap or sporting clays...I opened up a credit card with their Hampton store last year to buy a larger gun safe for a new house...had never used any of the points that I had earned over 15 months...called last week to check and had over $500 that were technically expired...they reactivated them until the end of Nov and I used them and a few hundred more active points to buy a Beretta 686...not a bad deal really...only thing negative I can say is that their paperwork process is slow as molasses and getting waited on is a challenge...polite but slowwwww...good to have them nearby though.
Flakshield

· Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,534 Posts
I want to dive in the fish tank and eat sushi.

And then, buy lots of rifles.

And then, go in the "I can't afford this" room, and ogle. :eek:

Sweeeeeeeeet....

· Registered
270 Posts
We have a new one as well outside of Richmond, VA...good prices on shotgun ammo if you shoot trap or sporting clays...I opened up a credit card with their Hampton store last year to buy a larger gun safe for a new house...had never used any of the points that I had earned over 15 months...called last week to check and had over $500 that were technically expired...they reactivated them until the end of Nov and I used them and a few hundred more active points to buy a Beretta 686...not a bad deal really...only thing negative I can say is that their paperwork process is slow as molasses and getting waited on is a challenge...polite but slowwwww...good to have them nearby though.
Flakshield
Went there on opening day, 45+ minutes one way via interstate, was looking for a Henry lever in .357, didn't have one there, but could get one for the same price as the place three minutes away.
They had a bunch of nice stuff, most of which I already had, so I walked out without buying anything.
I don't hunt or fish, but can understand the draw for those that do.

· Platinum Bullet Member
387 Posts
I don't remember the exact deal, but I think the one here pays either nothing or very little for rent. The city paid them to move here. They seem to employ folks that have never been outside or handled a gun. The prices are high and they have never once had an item that I went there to buy.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
We have had a Bass Pro for many years nearby, and other than convenience, it isn't too exciting. Convenient, yes, and if you want to eyeball a particular product in person prior to purchasing online, they usually have it. They occasionally have some decent deals if you watch their sales flyer. Cabella's is much better; you actually get deals in their Bargain Cave, and they stock MUCH more product, at consistently better prices.
Oh yeah, don't forget to patronize and spend with the local guys, or else you'll soon find that they don't exist anymore and be forced to shop Bass Pro.... BeSwift

· Registered
1,008 Posts
and if you want to eyeball a particular product in person prior to purchasing online, they usually have it.
That's mostly what I use them for too! :D I gotta admit though I really do like the Fish Tank! :D the fishing stuff is probably more reasonable. :D

· Silver Bullet member
32,032 Posts
There is one nearby to me too, and given its in a somewhat "suburban" setting just south of Thorgood Marshall/BWI Airport, its sales of firearms and ammo are quite brisk.

The prices have been climbing on the ammo, but they have been doing so for a while. I find them a good place to get a box or two, and to get pocket knives sharpened free.

As for non-gun stuff, I like their selection of clothing, particularly the flannel and fleece-lined jeans

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cabella's is much better; you actually get deals in their Bargain Cave, and they stock MUCH more product, at consistently better prices.
Oh yeah, don't forget to patronize and spend with the local guys, or else you'll soon find that they don't exist anymore and be forced to shop Bass Pro.... BeSwift
I have been in a Cabela's, in Minnesota, and yes, it is the better of the two stores, especially the gun/shooting departments.

There is only one local sporting goods place where I live, and I use them for tranfers on non-C&R stuff I buy. They seem to be fishing-oriented in general and I wonder how they will stand up to BPS being about 20 minutes away from them. I guess we'll see how much the local place wants to keep our business. I do like having them around, and I don't expect them to match BPS on price, but as I have said on this board in the past, I am quite the unapologetic capitalist and consumer.
A good example of that was when I bought a SIG P6 this spring...the local place had them for $350 to $400, but I ordered mine from a wholesaler for $269 and paid the local guys $35 for the transfer. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks, but there is a limit to such altruism on my part. Never have I heard it claimed that capitalism is fair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.