Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i go about having a new barrel put on my mosin? Can any gunsmith do the job or does it require special tooling?? Should i provide him a lead cast of a mosin chamber in good condition?? Would that help him at all? How much should i expect to pay?

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
do they have big 5's near you ?
when they put 91/30's on sale go inspect them..all
my last trip i found one with a NEW commercial quality bbl...and its not the first, and i have been told it is not uncommon...

much cheaper than built from scratch....probably 5-600 dollars......

mike in co

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh damn 5-6 hundred to machine a barrel blank & install? Damn i was expecting something like 200.... Would it be any cheaper if i provide them with a bare action so they don't have to remove the original barrel?

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
no....what are you trying to do ???
for 200 bucks you can buy another 9130 and a bbl vise and an action wrench and change it yourself...
mike in co
oh damn 5-6 hundred to machine a barrel blank & install? Damn i was expecting something like 200.... Would it be any cheaper if i provide them with a bare action so they don't have to remove the original barrel?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts

What are you trying to do?...if you explain your project a bit, it'd be easier for folks to chime in and help you out with potential advice... ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was planning on building my own target mosin. I was looking to get a 27 inch barrel blank from green mountain ($100) in .308, get it machined out to .310, chambered & installed on the mosin action. Mosin actions can be had for 30 bucks online. I also am ordering a 28/76 replica stock for 200, but needs to be inletted when i receive it. My goal was to get a solid target rifle for aprox 600 total.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know where you live, but 5 to 600 to put a barrel on is outragious. How much is being machined off??? I had the old barrel removed, one of the UK-59 barrels machined(alot), headspaced, and a flashider threaded on to it for 140.00. There is bound to be a more reasonable smith in your area.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Oh i didn't mean a new mn barrel. I meant a barrel blank from green mountain
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=M-308C

Ok, $34 + shipping for the barrel. That's likely around $45. Gunsmith removes your barrel - $50. Ship new barrel to a shop to deepen groove diameter to .310 - $150. Then the 'smith has to contour, thread, chamber and headspace to your action - $150. That's around $395 minimum. You can buy 4 more Mosins for that price.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
ok you said two things that are contradictory...green mountain and target.....
second..there is no reason to use a 310 bbl..use a 308..more and better bullets.
it aint happening for 600 us dollars....
cause a "smith will charge to chamber and install a bbl, but more to contour.
and you cannot use a ss bbl if you are trying to match the profile...and color....
so go to krieger and order a longer than std 308 chrome moly bbl..$400 ....now find a gunsmith that can do what you want...they actually make match reamers for 7.62x54r.
now a much simpler method is to look at every 91/30 at every big 5 till you find an excellent bbl..i have picked up several in the last couple of years.
the whole idea of taking a cheap 308 new bbl and having some one rifle it out to 310 is just plain silly....

very strange idea in my humble opinion......

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Why would you build a custom, target, Mosin Nagant and even want to make it .310" groove diameter? So you can shoot OLD surplus ammo? I would leave it a .308" Most reloading dies in 7.62x54R are set up to load .308" bullets anyway. Some NEW commercial ammo is loaded with .308" bullets. Plus your choice of available bullets will be at least 100 times more with .308" JMHO
Motor

·
Registered
183 Posts
Keeping the .308 will be much easier on your wallet, and a larger selection of bullets, you can get dies from Lyman in .308 and probably others. If I where to rebarrel another M-N action, it would be the route I would take.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I use Lee dies. My Lee die came with a neck expander that is for .308" bullets. The one for .311" is an option. I took it one step farther. I got the .311" expander and opened up my die to match. That is one nice thing about the low cost Lee equipment, if you scrap it you haven't lost too much. I had the necessary tools to do it and it works great. The "stock" die will size the neck to hold a .308" bullet.
I did this because I load cast bullets that are .313"+ and .312" jacketed. It makes it a lot easier to seat the bullets and don't try to size down the cast ones with neck tension.
Motor

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't want to discourage you or poo-poo your idea too much... but I have already done the numbers on this for a similar project of my own - that I ended up deciding against....... The short version is: You are time and money ahead buying a Genuine Mosin Sniper from RGuns.... or a "Modern" bolt gun new in box...

If you want - I can add up the costs.. but they are high.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Exactly that ... I already gone for the same thing ... I wanted a Mosin with a heavy barrel that would shoot accurate and when I did the numbers and realized that I would be waisting a ton of money on a Bubba gun that nobody would buy after or give me what I would have spended on it , I went and bought a new Savage Tactical 10FCP 5R .308 with a 24" heavy barrel that is a true sub Moa shooter .
Then I also got me a nice Mosin which I sporterized and upgraded it myself and it shoots the surplus well , with around 2 Moa at 100 meters .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Consider that if you poke around - you can find a Finn M39 Mosin that someone has already "Sporterized" up for you.... It's not really that uncommon to find ones that already have scope mounts on them.... Price would likely fall within the $300-500 range... and you would have a rifle that is already capable of shooting at least 1 moa with good ammo...

That's a deal - when you consider that mounting a scope on a Mosin can run into the $250.00 range without the scope... if you count the cost of the mounts and bent bolt...

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Where are you getting that type of stock?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.