Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an Arisaka collector, but I've recently gotten the bug after reloading for my T99. A local shop had two that interested me. Please bear with the photos. I'm having both camera, and server difficulty.

The first is a T38. It has an intact mum, dust cover and sling. However, the bolt is mismatched. Overall it's in very good condition with a very good bore. I have seen the link to the T99 data sheets, but is there an equivalent to the T38? If the data sheets are the same, then the T38 is from Kokura Army Arsenal. Is there any way of knowing when this one was made? Interestingly, the sling has some characters on it. Can anyone identify what it means? The rifle with accessories was $289. Probably not a screaming deal, but not bad in todays market.

The other rifle is a last ditch T99. It has a ground mum, but the bolt and bolt components all match the receiver. I can't find any other serial numbers. It's also in very good condition with a very good or better bore (haven't cleaned it yet). From the data sheets it appears to be from Nagoya Army Arsenal, series 8. I bought it for $75. I really like it as a representative piece, but now I'm wondering about it. Are these considered safe to shoot, or are they strictly non shootable collectors pieces?

Anyways, I'm happy with my two new additions. I'll have to clean them though. They have many years of storage dust on them and are filthy with old grease. The T38 in particular is so bad I can barely move the bolt, and the trigger sticks to the rear if I depress it.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I have shot 1 of 4 8th series rifles I own. Very accurate rifle. I was able to keep 5 shots in a 4" circle at 100 yards. I had no issues with it. I would inspect it carefully. If you have any doubts tie it to a tree and fire with a string. If it's matching I don't see why you could not fire it. I don't think the actual metal parts suffered to badly at this point in time. Just get them out the door pruduction increase was sure the order of the day. Let us know if you fire it and how it groups. I think your in for a surprize.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Tht was a great price you got a bargain. The 8th.series with the guards on the front sight is not a easy one to find, does it have the type 99 markings on the receiver? If the bolt numbers and the receiver numbers match it should safe to shoot after you clean it up if you do not find any problems, the receivers are very strong and well made.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the T99 markings. Just the serial number, series, manufacture, and of course the ground mum. I'm very pleased that these are considered safe to shoot! It's matching with an excellent bore now that I ran a bore brush through it. I just made up a fresh batch of casings from Greek HXP 30.06. Hopefully I'll have them ready for next weekend to shoot! Speaking of which, what is the battle sight set on these? 300 meters?

Another thing on the T38. I can't seem to get the cleaning rod out. It just spins and spins. Is there any specific trick to removing it that I'm overlooking? Thanks for all the responses!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,391 Posts
You may want to take another look at the numbers on your T-38. These early ones were matched by an assembly number that is unrelated to the serial number. The assy number is on the bottom of the receiver & on all the major parts.
Nice looking rifles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.