Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it isn't perfect and isn't quite "drippy mint" but it's the nicest one I've ever had, and the price was right. This was a gift from a friend.:D

Faz 8/45 production, a little scuffing on the finish on the barrel and bolt handle and around the edges, but wood is about perfect. Almost ding free.

Bore looks perfect as does the bolt face. If it has been fired much since the factory it doesn't show much.

Color me happy.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
28,012 Posts

Fine looking rifle, and a better price! There were a number of #5's that were brought in in the late 1950's, so yours should'nt have an import mark (other than ENGLAND). I've seen another like yours in similar condition. It had cobwebs in the mag because it sat in a closet for so long. Does the wood need some RLO? How dry is it? Doesn't look terribly dry, from the pics.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, yeah there is only the England mark and a 18.5 tons mark on the barrel, so I suppose a 50s export/import.

Stock doesn't seem too dry, though it has probably been a l-o-n-g time since it saw any RLO. Probably spent a long time in a closet or gun cabinet before my friend bought it a few years ago.

Price was definitely right as you say, a combination birthday and Christmas present. My pal has a honey hole gun store where just amazing stuff comes in "out of the woodwork" on a fairly regular basis. He picked up a stone mint, flat out best lend lease Garand I've ever seen- at the same place.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
28,012 Posts
BTW

Where you been, Clyde? Last time I saw you was with some blonde and a drink with an umbrella in it!!!
LOL :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys. I like this old rifle.

Limpetmine- Been here and there. Busy with the usual suspects: work and family, especially the family thing. Easing back into my old habits though. Grin.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Clyde.... That is a very nice looking rifle and I'm sure it means more to you as a gift. Congratulations !

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't seen one that nice since i bought my first one, from Winfield Arms in Los Angeles back in the mid-50's. They had barrels full of them for $13 each. Sadly, i didn't buy them all, and I got rid of mine. The one I have now isn't nearly that clean...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts