Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down and sent away for one, as soon as I stumbled upon it online...it wasn't from a sponsor, but I will atone by at least getting a replica bayonet from Empire. It was really cheap at under $200 delivered, matching bolt, no transfer, and I'm on a budget. I've wanted one for a long time.

Hopefully, the shippers and the law will play by the rules and not give me any crap about the 1896 Tula receiver on it...this is Oregon, and it seems like almost the entire population owns firearms.

Here's my questions:

The photos I saw showed nicely worn metal, no rust, but not much bluing left. What is the best way to care for old, worn metal like that in a very damp, cool climate ? The rainy season is almost upon me, and I have plenty of cheap corrosive surplus left.

The stock was described as post-war, vg, but the photos showed repairs by the tang and bayonet lug. How well do those Finn stock repairs hold up ? What have those of you out there with repaired M39 stocks experienced in that regard ?

Thanks in advance, Gunboards community !

·
Registered
353 Posts
Seano, welcome to the M39 world. Got my first from
Badger about 2 yrs ago(thankyou Gary) and am now at
2 '43 SKY's and 1 '43 Sako. All with wartime stocks,
no plugs, and the only repair (not really) is the toe
splice on the Sako. Was looking for something the other
day in old SGN collection and found a full page WGA ad
from 10/2002. Only wish that i had been in the M39
collecting "phase" back then. Here are some of the SKY
and Sako prices:
Like new con Sako $210
Like new con SKY $300
Good con SKY $100
Good/VG con SKY $170
VG Sako or VKT $90

Post some pics of your find and the bayo from Empire. If
you want a SKY sling, Davids Collectibles has them (NOS
for $25).
Regards
RC

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's here !

Wow, the photos I saw didn't show the extent of wear on the stock at all...it looks like it was tossed into a bag with a bunch of rabid weasels. It doesn't have any stamps on it, and it was described as "post war," but someone rode this stock very, very hard.

I'm glad I have a can of Finn 1/3 mix sitting here. I rather like that "been there, done that" look, but I live in a very wet climate, and I'm afraid this stock needs some gentle TLC...thus the 1/3 mix.

The metal, on the other hand, is a nice uniform very light gray, with zero rust. Bore is sharp and shiny, and a Hungarian LB round inserted into the muzzle protrudes almost 1/4 inch.

The bolt appears to be coated in some kind of heavy brown grease, almost like Cosmoline, but thinner, and the grease is all in the chamber.

I promise to wrestle a room-mate's camera away from her at some point...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The bolt appears to be coated in some kind of heavy brown grease, almost like Cosmoline, but thinner, and the grease is all in the chamber.

I promise to wrestle a room-mate's camera away from her at some point.

Maybe wrestle around with some of the cosmo to keep things moving! Chicks dig the smell.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Maybe wrestle around with some of the cosmo to keep things moving! Chicks dig the smell.

That's why my wife says take that sh*t outside I can't stand it anymore! It's driving her crazy with desire. Now I got it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
TLC is all it takes........

That rifle will protect you, feed you and keep you free, so clean it , oil it and enjoy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Seano,

I have two M39's with little bluing and stocks that look pretty well "experienced:. To clean the metal and keep the metal good on mine I use EEZOX. I love the stuff. It melts goo, and leaves and help the metal resist rust better than any CLP I have ever used. Looks have no relation to shooting ability. My most beat M39 shoots just as good as the pretty one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, all. The room-mate in question is one of the best ones ever, but like most women, even those who like guns, things like Cosmoline removal and bore cleaner in the living room are a no-no when she is around.

It's a big house.

So here is one picture of the stock repair...it's a big one, extends to both sides, and the whole stock is gouged and scuffed like that. It was cheap for a reason. I should at least take the action out and clean it, first, along with the bolt...

Covered with drying old grease as it was, I worked that matching bolt a little and it was as smooth as butter. 1896.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts