Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I was excited to receive this Star Model COE. It was in better condition than I expected, and after a much-needed bath, I am very pleased with how it looks. The original pearlite grips had disintegrated so I put on replacements from Scott Smith. Fortunately, the engraved grip screws remained. The sear bar is different on this gun than on my other Model COs so I had to do some clearancing on the back side of the grips to get them to fit.
Air gun Wood Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Rectangle Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

Automotive exterior Wood Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting Magenta

It is a nice addition to my little assortment of Stars in Cal. 6.35
Photograph White Light Green Black

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice find, Phil! I've only had one engraved Spaniard. The engraving was very good, but the gun was from the "Llama crap era", so it moved on.
Rex - I enjoyed shooting with you today. Thanks for the invitation. I'm usually too cheap to chase the engraved examples but this one slid under the radar on GB and I was able to pick it up for what I would expect to pay for a blued CO.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Got a standard model I have had a long time.
I travelled 50 miles one evening after work to look at a "P38" a co-workers aunt had for sale.
This what It actually was.
Well made little piece. I stick it in my pocket sometimes.
The extractor broke once and I got a replacement from Spain.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now you need one of these to keep it in:

I was told on another forum that in the STAR book, page 463, a .22 conversion kit for a Super A pistol is shown in a particle board box that appears the same. It has the same style sliding lid with finger hole.
I have the Book, but just haven't looked it up. I must have missed the pic as I remember going thru the book a couple times looking for pictures of the STAR wooden box but never saw one/that one.

Nice pistol, I always liked the Model CO. One of those 'Why did I ever sell that one?' .

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mikey - I will bring it by Thursday but don't plan to drop it. :)

Here is a shot showing the differences between a CO and this COE:
White Wood Trigger Wood stain Gun accessory

The COE has a higher serial number, but both are from 1953. A COE pictured on page 140 of the Antaris STAR FIREARMS book shows the same arrangement as the COE above. This isn't surprising as the pistol in Leo's book and this one are only 41 numbers apart.

·
Registered
785 Posts
When I saw this item listed it was obvious the seller was unaware of Star pistols. The listing stated, ”not factory engraved” and “incorrect box”. That was the first of of two engraved pistols. The other one is also blued and is a Le Francias 25acp Type Policeman probably from the late 1940’s to the mid 50’s.

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It is a beautiful gun and an interesting combination of a roll marked abbreviated legend and hand engraving. The blued finish makes it even more unusual. They also give me one more reference in tracking down the change in the trigger bar.

Evidently this change occurred sometime in 1953.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts