Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt a little foolish after I traded away my old SCW 91/30 after I wrote my article on Republican small arms in the conflict, even if it had been refinished, so I made a note to pick up the next good one I saw.

This morning, I drove to a small local auction with a few guns in the catalog with the hope of buying a Japanese Type 38 (which I ended up losing), and saw this 1937 Izhevsk with most of the telltale signs of SCW use — sling hangers, an original sling, a bolt mismatch, and no signs of refurbishment. I ended up landing it for $210.00 before tax, with no buyer's premium or transfer fees.

It isn't MP8 or MADE IN USSR marked, but retains its original stock cartouches. Curiously, whereas many SCW rifles have been heavily sanded, this one only has one spot on the right side of the stock that has been. I'm not sure if this occurred in Spain or after importation, but this rifle doesn't seem to have been fired much if at all, at least recently. There's what looks to be thin and old cosmoline on the sight leaf, and the whole rifle was covered in filth and nicotine. There was also an incredibly poor condition Spanish 1916 Mauser carbine that was similarly unused in the catalog.

I'm not entirely certain what this sling is, but it's definitely old — does anyone recognize it?

A close up of the sanded spot. Click for the full-sized image, which is quite large:
IMG_20201017_113953_01.jpg

All in all, I think I did really well.

·
Diamond Member
5,616 Posts
The story (for years now) on the slings is they are Finnish. I have had doubts on this but I can't really find much info on them. They do work well on SCW's because you can attach them without removing the wires, and the are also a good with. I think they go well with SCW's, and BTW I have been only able to find a handful or so of period rifles with slings. Great looking rifle and congrats, Denny

·
Diamond Member
5,616 Posts
Wanted to add that I have seen a number of SCW's with this sling......don't know why.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The story (for years now) on the slings is they are Finnish. I have had doubts on this but I can't really find much info on them. They do work well on SCW's because you can attach them without removing the wires, and the are also a good with. I think they go well with SCW's, and BTW I have been only able to find a handful or so of period rifles with slings. Great looking rifle and congrats, Denny
Better pictures needed but in my eyes that sling is definately not a Finn sling.

Lähetetty minun STF-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,625 Posts
Stock is definitely in better shape than the average SCW, but you run across them sometimes. I'd have bought that too, a probable SCW in that good of condition and even mostly matching is a pretty good find.

EDIT: missed something in post and asked redundant question

·
Diamond Member
5,616 Posts
Better pictures needed but in my eyes that sling is definately not a Finn sling.

Lähetetty minun STF-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Some pics of the sling that came with one of my SCW's. Looks to be the same as the OP

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,044 Posts
You got a great buy on that one.
Thanks for the pictures of the rifle and sling.
Gary

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,477 Posts
Nice looking rifle! I’ve never run across an SCW Mosin with a sling attached so that’s very interesting to see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts