Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Type 94 that seems to be out of the serial number range for a 18.1 pistol.

Serial is 33882. The number is higher than an 18.2 pistol listed. Must have been a January 32, 1943 piece.

·
Diamond Member
936 Posts
Japanese T94 monthly serial ranges after around 16.8 very commonly overlap. In the last four years of manufacture, I have recorded at least 25 months with out-of-range serial numbers such as your example. However, your example is the first one dated 18.1 reported to me. There are several theories as to why out-of-range examples are encountered, but, the most plausible to me is that some examples just took longer to complete than others (hand-fitting of parts or most any other arsenal work reason). Since the Japanese serialized the guns prior to dating them when they were completed, out-of-range examples periodically show-up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of date

Much thanks for the info! It's not the first firearm that I have that seems to defy what is commonly assumed about manufacturing dates and configurations. We always seem to learn more with the help of great web sites like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts